Markuu from Hoobastank

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Fleaismyhero, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Anybody else heard of Markuu, the bass player from Hoobastank? he's pretty good the intro to "Up and Gone" is one of my favorite bass lines.
  2. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Aren't they those Inbubus copy cats? That guy sounds exactly like Brandon Boyd. :mad:
  3. yeah the singer sounds like Brandon, but that's really where the similarites end, especially if you've heard any of their older stuff when they still had they're saxaphone player
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Officially, Hoobastank will go next to Limp Bizkit, and Korn in the "Wall Of Name Shame"

BTW, the Wall of Name Fame has members like Screaming Cheeta Wheelies and Squirrel Nut Zippers.

5. they came out of nowhere.. I remember one night on KROCK.. they got interviewed after they opened for incubus.. their name is from the phrase "who's butt stinks?"

not too bad.. they take a little bit to grow on you.
  6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    They're great! I've been a fan for a couple years. I've even got official T-shirts with their ORIGINAL name, "Hoobustank". Way better than this "Hoobastank" crap.
  7. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Its a band that will be famous for a year and dissappear next year, well maybe not but I do enjoy the first 4 tracks on the cd and then it gets old real fast.

Not an innovative band but a very commercial "ear candy" band. fun to listen to that's all.

All I know is that cat is endorsing Aguilar Amplification and he's in with Mike Tobias, damn it!!!!!
  8. I think that Hoobastank is just another band profiting off this "nu-metal" thing. They have the whole melodic verse-power chord chorus thing going, and they sound the same as most other rock bands out there. Despite all of this, Markuu is not a bad bass player, and has a nice, full tone. If only their sound was a bit more versatile, and, frankly, different...
  9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    How does a band "sound versatile"? ;)
  10. By sounding versatile, I just mean varying their sound and trying to break out of the nu-metal phase... Bands have recently been lacking individuality. This happens whenever a rock trend occurs. For example, in 1991-1992 the "grunge" scene was new and fresh. Three years later "grunge" bands had poured out of everywhere from Georgia (Collective Soul) to the UK (Bush). Nu-Metal sounded fresh in '94 when bands like Korn first started appearing, and then other soundalikes started puring out of the woodwork to create the new trend. Thats how it happens.

I hope that summed up what I was trying to say. Sorry if my choice of words sucked, as they sometimes have a habit of doing.

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hhhmmm, I really don't think I would put Hoobastank and Korn in the same category.

Then again...Bush? Grunge? Hhhmmm...
  12. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Hoobastank is ear candy. The record company tells them how to sound and they do it. $$$$.

Trust me, I think i first heard of this band in 1994 by email (there wasn't webpages at that time but lots of email and trading demos) and they were more of a funk/ska metal band then. I know they have old demos and you'd be surprised how they sounded back then.

Music is a business. To "make it" you got to go with the game and do what the big boys tell ya to do. I've been there, its all about $$$$$$$$ that evil stuff.

That band is nothing special but it catches my ear. I heard a rumor the only reason why they got a major contract is because the singer could "sound" like the Incubus singer. I'm just assuming but the record company probably wanted to make $$$ off of the Incubus fans. Its a risky business and I've been screwed a few times and it just sucks.
  13. Thats why major labels, for the most part, suck.