1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Marleaux Consat FE VS Curbow IEP Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GilGB, Apr 19, 2010.

1. GilGB

GilGB

Aug 14, 2007
    For a long time i been looking for a real good 5 stringed fretless bass.
    My favorites were the Marleaux and the Curbow but i still don't know which one to pick.
    I want to get some more opinions from people who got ones or checked these basses.

Thanks in advance,
    Gil.

2. GilGB

GilGB

Aug 14, 2007
    ? Any Suggestions?

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The best fretlesses I've owned have been Curbows, and Rockwood makes for an amazing fretless neck, but of course you'd have to find one used. I've never played a Marleaux.

Mike

4. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    I would try both and see what I like better.

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    You're asking about 2 fairly rare basses, finding people who have played both and can offer a comparison may be difficult.

6. chris lykins

chris lykins Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    phoenix az
    The necks are totally different. Curbow wide and flat while the Marleaux is a somewhat thicker c/d profile. I hade a XT33 and while it played great had only one sound and needed an octaver to fatten it up. Im sure the standard 2 pup would be a different ball game. The programable marleaux preamp is the best pre on the market IMO and can make your bass sound modern or punchy. Since the fretless curbow will be hard to find I'd go marleaux.

7. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I've played both basses, but not at the same time...so take this with a grain of salt. The neck profiles were different, with the Curbow having a wide flat neck. The body shapes also mean that they feel different when playing; on the ones I've played, I prefered the balance on the Curbow, but felt that my right (plucking) hand was less comfortable with it (although the arched body on the IEP helps that). Both basses sound great and are high quality.

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    All marleaux basses I have tried were fantastic.
    Each different from the other but it's never been a question of quality but taste...which of these do I like better than the other.
    On the whole curbows I have tried,not quite as many, were alright too. Not built quite as well as the marleaux-made instruments( hardly anyones work I have seen was as well executed as that of marleaux, and consistently so) far as I could tell, but nice as well.At least many o them...
    On the whole I'd go for what you like better but not without trying first.