Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marleaux Jazz Bass 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mz91, Jul 28, 2005.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Hello All,

Like most people here, i am suffering Sadowsky Gas. Being european, i know i should probably support a European Builder.
    Although i was originally planning a Sadowsky Metro for my next Bass. This has recently caught my eye. I have read the threads on talkbass on marleaux basses (there are about 3 :eyebrow: ). So i couldnt get a whole lotta info on them.

So here i am kindly asking what people think off the Bass. Keep in mind that i could get this for more than half the price of a Sadowsky Metro :D . I guess its clear what im going for. I Just wanted to know if anyone has played one of these babies, and what i can expect from the sound etc.

I dont want this to be a Sadowsky vs. Marleaux thread, but im really wondering what people think about this young luthiers jazz basses!

I put the pictures up in a flickr gallery, not sure if it works but heres the link!
    [​IMG]

Thansk Guys

Michael

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i think the neck is more a Pbass neck but the bass look nice, but the sounds is the more important thing.

3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Well, as you probably know, the Gitarre&Bass guys keep on raving about Marleaux basses. What's the body wood?
    I've never played one, but I also like their non-Fendery body shapes, which is pretty rare for me.

4. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Hmm, thats actually a really good question, i havent even got to asking.. Im actually not sure this guy knows what kind of body wood the bass has. go figure! :)

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  6. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Marleaux really ought to hire someone to proofread their English website sometime. I never knew body shapes could be "classical". :p

7. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    thanks for the link! If i end up getting it, it will be for a sensationall price. So Hotwire etc arent really on my list... :D

PS: Have you ever played one JMX?

M

8. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    well in that case must be dibetou regarding the pictures.. Thanks Again!

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I played one and I found that it sounded really good and J-like (for me, this is really wide-ranging for me, I'm not a Fender purist).
    Forgot which wood it was, though.

10. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    i owned one (a five string, though). it sounded & played great. i actually had other people ask me to sell it to them after checking it out. ;)

i ultimately sold it to finance a fodera. if i were to get another j-bass, though, it would most likely be a van der end (from the netherlands).

-christoph

11. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Thanks for the Input Christoph!

12. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    by the way, it was exactly the same as the blue one on the marleaux home page...

13. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Celinder is also another option.

14. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Someday, somehow I must own one of their Consat Custom 5's.

15. Dan Lenard

Dan Lenard Banned

Mar 8, 2002
    I had a 5 for a while, and I thought it was great, and I'm not a JB guy.

I sold it and the buyer stills has it and loves it.

Marleauxs are very well made basses.

Less than a grand ?
    Grab it !

16. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland

Its official, this weekend ill be Picking up a Marleaux JB 4 :hyper: :hyper:

And Dan, Less than a grand $?

Try almost half of that!!!! :ninja:

"ohhh Happy Day!!!!"

17. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    FWIW...Michael (aka MZ91) is a major negotiator that has scooped some impressive deals...this being one of them.

:D

18. Dan Lenard

Dan Lenard Banned

Mar 8, 2002
    Michael,

You are one lucky bugger.

I hope you realize that !

19. +1 Those are very high on my G.A.S list.

20. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Thanks for the comments thus far, here another pic :hyper: :

[​IMG]

Man, the Marleuax is SUCH a nice bass! Just a JOY to play, cant really give a huge review, but it got so many useable sounds. But sounds Best, with everthing flat and both pickups equal! :D