Marleaux Jazz Bass 5-String

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by christoph h., Sep 10, 2004.

1. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    OK, as so often seen on this forums I'm selling a bass because I need the money to buy a different one. :D

It's a Marleaux Jazz bass. If you don't know Marleaux, they're a highly regarded German bass company, see

You can take a look at the bass here:

I can get some soundclips, if you like.

Now for some more info:

The bass sounds and plays great, but since I'm an honest person, I'll have to tell you that it has been played A LOT.
    I take care of my instruments, but somehow this one has always been receptive to dings and scratches. They're mostly minor and not visible from a few meters away (as evident on the photos), but there are definitely a few.

Now if this did not kill your interest I'll have some nice things to say about the thing I'm trying to sell, too: :)

First, it simply sounds fantastic. Like often associated with the name Sadowsky, this bass just works: plug and play.
    It sits in the mix perfectly, always cuts through and has all the tonal quality you expect from a hi-end instrument.
    Besides the normal JB passive tone control it features an active electronics package with a 2 band EQ. As far as I know (but cannot guarantuee, since it's "insider" info), Marleaux actually outsources the PUs to German electronics guru Harry Häussel (

The bass plays great. Since I'm a fan of super low action, the bass currently features a neck shim and a "Willis"-ramp, both of which can be easily removed (without residue) if you're fan of a more conservative setup.

Only a month or so ago it was at the Marleaux factory who not only assisted me with getting my setup where I wanted it (ramp, etc) but also took the time to completely clean the bass and fretboard, and make sure it's almost new.

So if you're interested in a used but definitely great, reliable instrument and absolute gig machine, please make an offer.

A new JB from Marleaux would run between 1600 and 1800 Euro, depending on the deal you find, so with rates from this would be about 2000-2200 USD. When actually buying in the US it will most likely be even more expensive as is so often the cases with foreign equipment. (Think "Glockenklang").

Seeing the bass is used and has cosmetics flaws I guess I'll have to live with some heavy financial loss (especially since I additionally invested into the bass), but I'm looking to get about 1300-1400 USD. I have some room to work and compensate for any additional shipping/customs costs, but not much: see this post's introduction. That's also why I'm not open for trades. To be honest, I have a hard time selling this bass, but I see no other way to finance my GAS. :(
  2. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Christoph, your home page links don't appear to be working.
  3. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    ARGH!. I mixed up "_" and "-". :rolleyes:

thanks, they now work!
  4. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
  5. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    let's try this again...