1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MARLOWEDK......AWESOME!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Ivan M, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Ivan M

Ivan M

Aug 2, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    As many here know, MARLOWEDK is one incredible player, i have been following him ever since i started to play Bass Last year, i recently ordered his Slap DVD, after having some trouble with it mounting on my MACBOOK PRO he dutifully found a way to send it to me as a DIGITAL file. He answered every single E-mail i sent and was very interested in getting the DVD to work for me. I can honestly say the DVD is the BEST Slap DVD i have ever studied from, and i have plenty trust me. Every camera angle works perfect, and the slow mo helps with getting the correct fingers/thumbs on the correct strings. If anyone out there wants a great SLAP DVD to learn from this is the one. DO NOT hesitate and order it. in the last hour i learned 2 nice grooves that he teaches and it literally tooK me 15 min or less to learn each. Marlowe a big thanks to you if you ever read this. I cant wait for him to come out with the next one. Even if you are not too much into slap buy it, it has tremendous help with getting your timing down for licks/Bass lines.

2. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    yeah Marlowe is awesome!

you're listing some badass gear for a guy playing bass for one year LOL! you're like me? a converted guitarist diving in full speed ahead?

3. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Yes sir, I to, am a big fan of this gentleman. I was wondering what nationality he was, not that it matters. I particularly enjoy all his motown stuff, and seeing his vast collection of basses. I have a feeling that he is not from around these parts! Did'nt youtube ban his videos because of copyright infringements? Please correct me if I am wrong. Some how I knew he was a class individual, but then again, I believe all bass players are sharper than the average bear!

4. fLow Action

fLow Action

Jul 11, 2012
    "I was wondering what nationality he was, not that it matters"

MarloweDK is from Copenhagen, Denmark

5. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Could not quite figure out his accent. When a company like Sandberg announces a signature bass in your name, you must be doing something right. It was because of him that I recently purchased a Sandberg California JJ 5 string, road worn. Amazing bass for the price.

6. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that?

Apr 16, 2009
    Another vote for MarloweDK (whose real name is Thomas Risell, BTW).

For the price of one very good lesson you can get his DVD and a whole bunch of video and audio files via download or DVD.

I like his teaching approach: this is what I do, now in slow motion; here, now you try it.

I'm spending more and more time on his website (and YouTube channel) these days.

7. I too have to say his website and from what I have gathered from him has been all wonderful. He is a great player from what I see on his site and hopefully I can meet him in person one day as well.
    **EDIT to add. I too am awaiting the arrival of his new Slap DVD**

8. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I just did!

Thanks for posting about the DVD. I've watched some of Marlowe DK's online materials before, and found them very interesting and helpful--even though I'm a veteran player, including slap style.

9. MarloweDK is friggen awesome. He does it all and makes it
    look so easy. I wish I had half his talent.

10. fLow Action

fLow Action

Jul 11, 2012
    No doubt he is an awesome bass player - but there are other names as well.
    In teaching - he is IMO no. 1 up to pretty advanced level.
    It is not just the detailed instructions but the entire stepwise concept that separates it from other good quality teaching vids.

11. Ivan M

Ivan M

Aug 2, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    I agree with this right here. His method of teaching really makes the learning much easier.

12. Willopis

Willopis

Aug 25, 2012
    SoCal
    I am very new to playing and I cannot get a lot out of just
    watching where he puts his hands.
    Cool guy, Reminds me so much of my friend from Denmark.

13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo