Maroon 5

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by outofthedeep, Aug 3, 2004.

1. outofthedeep

outofthedeep Guest

Jan 14, 2004
    East Texas
    Ok, in light of the Brittney Spears post, I thought it would be ok for me to say a lil' something.

I know that Maroon 5 is top 40 pop bleh, ........
    but holy crap, theese guys sound tight.
    The grooves are solid,.. nice r&b, funk, pop, rock mix.
    Has anyone seen theese guys live? are they that tight and groovin' in person?

wow, i can't belive I just made this post..
    I'm such a sell out...... :help:

I do like 'em though..... :ninja:
  2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    They don't engage my gag reflex, or cause undue bile creation, so I don't have anything against them. I saw their bassist wearing an Op Ivy T-shirt, so he's holding it down in some form or another (provided that's really his shirt and not to be ironic). Two of my friends went to see them at different times and showed me live footage they took, they seemed to be pretty tight live...though that's from a crappy digital camera and computer speakers.

A lot of my girl friends are enamoured with the singer, he is pretty hot. Reminds me of Robert Smith by way of Sam Cooke.
  3. Sellout, pssshh. If you're afraid to like someone because it's cool not to, ain't that just sellin' out in a different way? :spit: In any case, Maroon 5 are awesome. I don't own their CD (yet), but several of my friends do, so I've heard it plenty...can't get enough of that groovy, funky rock. Nobody else really sounds like them, which is a shame because it's a helluva lot better than 95% of the other homogenized craprock that's popular now (I'm looking at you, 3creedstaindnickels down). Good songwriting and vocals, too. I've only seen one song performed, which was on some late-night talkshow, but they're pretty good live if that was any indication. One of my bands even covered "This Love"; fun song to play too.

So, yea. You're allowed to like them, because I say it's cool. :ninja:
  4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    what is that song they played on leno? or conan? and it is on the promo's for little black book?
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I saw them on Saturday Night Live several months ago, and they sounded absolutely terrible, no groove whatsoever. I couldn't believe it was the same guys laying down the "schmoove" on the CD.

Unfortunately, it looks as if the producer is the one to credit on this one . . . was it Nile Rodgers?
  6. I own the CD, and enjoy several of the tracks quite a bit. Can't say I've ever seen them live, though, so I don't know how they are in that scenario.

But when I listen to them, I'm reminded somewhat of Toploader, although not as much as when I hear Five for Fighting. Whom I also dig quite a bit.
  7. Speaking of Toploader, at the Party at the Palace (Queen's golden jubilee celebration in England) Toploader played and the bassist was really groovin'.

On the subjetc of Maroon 5, they have something catchy tunes, I think that's why my likes stop to be honest.
  8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Creed broke up, and 3 doors down are ok, nickleback is great, and Stain doesn't even have a single out. Talk about beating a dead horse :rolleyes:

Mooron 5 is ok. If I had a job i would buy the CD.
  9. I like them... our singer actually wrote the hook to "Harder to Breathe", which (through a long story) Maroon 5 ended up with, back when they were the local band Kara's Flowers in New York. He heard the song on the radio one day, and nearly sh!t himself... he was like "Didn't I write this?!?!?" :eek:
  10. Indeed. I wondered the same thing. Super loose, the mix was annoyingly bad too. The singer was the only thing of merit...

But the album is good, just so gets worse as it goes on, like the riffes are repeated or slightly varied.
  11. discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    the band i was with last year opened up for them at a local venue and i wasn't all that impressed. a short story...i asked the bass tech if i could play through his rig, he said sure but he'd have to clear it first with the manager and then the road manager. i took over an hour to get an answer. why must everything become so complicated? i wondered. anyway, i ended up using my gk head through his 8x10 cab and it sounded so sweet. nothing like feeling your shirt move when you hit a note. in my opinion they sound like jamiriquoi for the 21st century. and this has nothing to do with my opinion of their music, but they were top of the line major league a**holes.
  12. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada

Why were they a holes.

Details :hyper:
  13. discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    details, eh? well they had very condescending, we are cooler than thou attitudes. you'd try to strike up a conversation and it was met with indifference. their manager even tried to get us removed from the "green room" but hell no, we had just as much right to be there so we stayed and entertained our "posse". you have to understand, we were all jacked up. it was the biggest crowd we had ever played in front of (600+ people) and we were releasing our new CD 2 weeks later so it was a great night to build up momentum and we were fired up about the opportunity. it just sucks when musicians give other musicians attitude because were all in the same boat experiencing the same things, just on different levels. so back to my point...they were a**holes because they had sh***y attitudes and they were pissing in my wheaties.
    wow, this may be my longest post ever.
  14. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Thats not vary nice of them. I would be P!ssed to if someone went 1 on my food.
  15. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i think that maroon 5 is a really good, funky mainstream radio band. i've heard a few songs only, but it's got groove and it doesn't sound like they were molded out of clay.
  16. If the horse is dead, why do I keep f***ing hearing it on the radio? Creed broke up but they're still overplayed. Staind does have a pretty new single out, called "So Far Away", and it's actually their best song yet (which still isn't saying much) can't make up for older monstrosities like "It's Been Awhile" though, which is still overplayed. 3 Doors Down...I liked the first single, but I found everything else very boring, and again, overplayed. As for Nickelback being "great"...I'm thoroughly mystified, but I doubt I'll convince you otherwise; I may just have to cast strange looks in your general direction and slowly back away :confused: ;) (we're all entitled to opinion and whatnot, but...ugh, Nickelback songs make me want to jab sharpened pencils into my ears. JMHO)

BTW, the level of "overplayedness" I've mentioned likely varies by area, but dude, you're from Windsor...we probably get half of the same radio stations (89x comes to mind especially). Eh well. So, yea, Maroon 5...good stuff!
  17. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Good point, I listen to 101 the Wrif (BABY!). I hate Stain. I turn the station when they play his songs. I haven't herd Creed in the longest time. 3 Doors Down I enjoy the singles, same with Nickleback. I don't have any of there Cds but I always turn it up when the songs are played. :hyper: I don't know why I like them. :confused: I would pay to see them live.
  18. I dig Maroon5, although not as much as about 5 minutes ago when I read discoboo's post...that sucks. It's obvious those dudes (esp. the lead singer) are heavily influenced by Little Stevie...
  19. I saw them live too in vienna last october.

And they're really really good.. know how to entertain the audience and the sound was really good. They had their stuff together and i enjoyed it a lot.

Actually i'l lprobably see them again in june on a festival they'Re one of the main reasons i'm going there.

I can confirm the 10-1 girl-guy ratio.