Married men, thoughts on wedding bands (rings and tattoos)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Will_White, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    So I'm getting married in January and I've been looking at my options for rings I was wondering if you all had any suggestions for a ring that didn't hinder your playing, I was thinking of either titanium or tungsten.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Do not get titanium! I have been way too close to several situations where injured people needed to have one removed and you almost can't cut them! We had to use extreme measures to get them off. I realize that's worst case, but still. Get a softer metal. I have no experience with tungsten but it may be as bad.

Mine is white gold and very simple in design. It's in desperate need of a polish, but from 6 feet out it looks great.

To me, the simplest designs are much more classy. You may look cool with all kinds of diamond engravings at the club in your 20s. But simpler designs are timeless and will never go out of style.

Get one with the rounded inside. It's much more comfy especially when playing bass.

Maybe you can make out the rounded inside from this awful pic of mine.

Congrats!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    JimK, groucho, soxhats and 17 others like this.
  3. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I just ordered an engagement ring for my girlfriend (I haven't asked her to marry me yet. Waiting for it to get here first)
    that is made of silver. She does not like gold or platinum.

I've looked at rings for myself, too, when we do get married, and I, too, prefer silver. Also, we will be wearing our rings on
    our right hands (Greek tradition), so it will be on my plucking/picking hand ring finger, thus not getting in the way.

4. Nose ring. Problem solved.

JimK, droo46, groucho and 34 others like this.
  5. I can't play with mine on...I take it off right before a set and slide it back on after set is done...I've been through 3 rings in 2 years...my wife is smart though and bought a few extra cheapies to wear to gigs...cause the big stick isn't keeping the ladies at bay...

6. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I hadn't thought about that with the tungsten and titanium rings I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm definately thinking of just a plain silver band, maybe engraved on the inside.

7. Orion1985

Orion1985 Supporting Member

May 4, 2010
    Grass Valley, CA
    High quality tungsten and titanium rings are now typically made with break points just in case of a swelling injury. I was told to be careful not to drop my ring because it might shatter. They're designed to break with a tap from a hammer.

I don't usually wear my ring while playing either. It's a little higher profile and I always feel like I'm going to drag it across the frets. I like the idea of switching it to the right though.

The only other consideration might be weight. I would imagine tungsten is quite a bit heftier than titanium.

tekhedd and Heisenbass like this.
  8. BJMtz

BJMtz Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    I just got married about a month and a half ago and I have been wearing a ring since. My ring is tungsten and I love it a lot. It's very difficult to scratch up. I have skinny fingers so I got a really skinny band. It only took about 2 weeks to get used to it. Now I hardly even notice it's there. Playing bass is fine. I got used to it and it doesn't affect my playing at all. At first it did but you quickly get used to it.

37BD9703-FF0F-4FEE-A3F8-888BDFEFBFB9_zpsphsa2qbg.jpg

dusterdan and Gabbs like this.
  9. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Congratulations on getting married!

Oldschool94 and BJMtz like this.
  10. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

i have a titanium (hypoallerginic, fyi) ring that i more often than not wear as a necklace, since i can't stand playing with a ring on my fretting finger

11. BJMtz

BJMtz Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks man!

GKon likes this.
  12. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! DHDIK? Supporting Member

Not yet married, but committed for eight years
    On our recent Hawaiian vacation we both independently decided on a a nicely Lazer engraved Tungsten band, both as a memento of the trip and a symbol of our committment.
    She had a 2ct diamond that I gave her a few years ago, but it was stolen, in a really icky situation.

Anyway :) congrats.

I have no issues playing with it on, but I do wish it was a little lower in profile.

13. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    A tattooed ring is the least bothersome while playing.

Leather would also be good.

Andre678, Strung_Low, 2GBTG and 5 others like this.
  14. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Oct 4, 2011
    Surrey, BC
    Wedding ring stays at home when I play. It clacks against the neck and nicks it a lot. When I'm on stage I am like Steel Panther. I'm community property.;)

15. Ditto the rounded inside. I've worn my ring for 15 years this coming June (surprised I haven't lost it yet). Sometimes at shows, or when I'm turning wrenches or such I'll take it and clip it on the biner I keep my keys on.

I got a couple of friends who took commitment pretty seriously and got their ring finger tattooed.

crentest likes this.
  16. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    If I say "I don't rate wedding rings on men" is that like saying "I don't like effects" in the effects forum?

17. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I was a machinist when we met and married, so no ring for me... After 22 years, I got a tattoo that will be with me forever...

My son went with silver and likes it.

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials!!

-robert

JustForSport and Oldschool94 like this.
  18. joeaba

joeaba

Aug 20, 2015
    Georgia
    Tungsten Carbide. Check out Triton. Not too pricey.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  19. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I wear my farher's ring, which he wore for 29 years before his death.

20. Photobassist

Photobassist

Dec 18, 2010
    Japan
    When I was in the Army I would wear my ring on my watch wristband to avoid any potential hazards if it snagged on something.

Now it's on my finger and never comes off. I've never had any problems playing bass with it on.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021