Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mars Bankruptcy Auction!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Oct 15, 2002.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  2. I feel sorry for the guys who worked for Mars, but as a GC employee I feel grateful that you, the musician community, have chosen us over them.

Rock on
    Eric

3. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I see only four locations on that website. Does this mean that auctions are only at those four store locations or does this mean that only those four Mars stores are going bankrupt?

I didn't know that any musicians worked at either Mars or GC. :D

4. I stopped by the Southfield, MI store on what was apparently the day after the auction. I figured there would be some kind of bankruptcy sale going on, and the large number of people with large quantities of gear in their cars seemed to confirm my assumption. I got inside what turned out to be the virtually empty store and was bluntly informed that it was only open for people who had "bought something at the auction yesterday." You can imagine how furious I was at my timing...:mad: :mad:

5. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Does anybody know if the Mars in Atlanta off the N. Druid Hills exit is being liquidated? They have a wonderful Modulus that I've been seeing there for a couple of years. Sure would like to go steal that one!

6. I think that's a Guitar Center. There's a Mars on Pleasant Hill, and I think one in Marietta. I haven't noticed if the Gwinnett Store is having problems. I'll try to get by there today.

Lisa

7. If you take the N Druids Hill Exit off I-85 and make a right at Buford Hwy, there is a Mars there as well. Thats the one he is probably referring to.

8. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Yea, that's it.

9. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I stopped by the Mars on Buford Highway late last week. There was no indication they were planning a liquidation sale, though the inventory of parts and accessories in the middle of the floor was pretty sparse. All the instruments were still up on the walls and prices hadn't been marked down at all. I work right near there, so I'm going to keep checking back. I'll post something if they start cutting prices.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  11. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    mars was a great store. Everybody at the memphis Location was really great to me and always helped me and never acted like jerks. We actually had a reall good family friend who worked there. This guy who played guitar for Tammy Wynette, he is real cool. I was in mars the 20th of september and like everybody was moping around and crap and i was like "buddy whats goin on" and hes like "we are closing down" im like.. ahhhh.. I almost cried.. because for a year that was my favorite place to go.. for everything. All the little stores around here are too expensive and they are mean. its sad to see what happened though. I miss it alot already =/
    and i saw a couple archtops i was gonna buy =/

12. I didn't have a clue one was down there! I didn't get a chance to gon in, but I drove by the Mars in Gwinnette, and it looks like it's still operating normally.

Lisa

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Here's a little update on the Mars Chapter 11 situation. This is quoted from a guy on another message board that I post on:

That's an update to me at least because Chapter 11 usually means that a company is going to restructure and close the most unprofitable stores, but according to what this guy was told they are planning on completely closing down. That's also inconsistent with the original press release. When he says "the owner's home" I assume he's talking about the CEO or something.

brad cook

14. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    No, don't go, Mars, no.

15. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hey lneal,
    I was at that Mars on N. Druid yesterday and they still had that Modulus. They have the same one at the Pleasant HIll one as well. At lunch time, around 1 o'clock, the place was empty. I think I was one of 4 people in there that were'nt employees. I bet that one goes first in Atlanta.

lneal, PM me, I have a buddy that works at the Pleasant Hill one and I'll see what he can get it for you for.

Thanks
    Tommy