Mars hooked me up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dfreeman, Dec 2, 2002.

1. So I'd thought it would be a while before I would get a 1X15 cab to complete my stack, but me and my friend went to Mars music this weekend where they were having a going out of business sale. The place was practically empty, which was pretty sad, but there was one and only one bass cab left. It happened to be a 1x15 Mesa boogie powerhouse! I got the guy to set it up for me, and it sounded amazing, against my better financial judgement I told him i'd take it. I don't really need to be spending money right now, but it was only 300 bucks! Pretty sweet I must say!
  2. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Hey, good for you. That's $200 off of the Fixed Price Mesa has. Hope you like it.:)
  3. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    There are some great deals at Mar's right now. It looks like they will be closed down in about a week. Not much left at the stores I went to but I did get
    Mesa M-Pulse 360 for $600.00
    I'm going to send the warranty card in but I kind of doubt they will honor the warranty. Still a great price even without a warranty.
    Also I called SWR while I was in Mar's and asked them if they warrantee SWR stuff bought at Mar's and they said no.
    So I'm guessing most manufacturers will not honor their warrantees for anything bought at Mar's during their liquidation sales.
  4. yeah, I saw some really good deals in there.

An ampeg SVT-4 pro for something like 800 bucks!

A SWR 750x for about 650!

A top of the line Sonar bass drum for 90 bucks!

An ampeg BSE410HLF for 325!

The whole time I was wishing this had happened in the summer, when I had a lot of cash! I would have gotten the ampeg 4X10 and the 750x along with that powerhouse in a second. That would be a sweet set-up! Oh well, bad timing! but at least I got the Mesa!
  5. Yea, I'm trying to get some money to get a Ampeg B-2R at Mars
  6. shakeyeraz

Aug 25, 2002
    and I just paid $950 delivered for a 750X and thought that was an exceptional deal. But, there's no MARS stores around CT.
  7. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I picked this up at Mars Sunday. I installed the panel to extend the headphone jack to the front.

shakeyeraz, What's your opinion of the 750X? How do you think it compares to the Ampeg stuff?

8. shakeyeraz

Aug 25, 2002
    I just got it about 3 weeks ago and really haven't had time to evaluate it thoroughly (I keep it at my drummer's house). I have also not giged with it yet.

It is L-O-U-D and very clean (I play through 2 Eden 4X10 cabinets a T and XLT = 4 ohm total load). The Edens accentuate the mids a bit but I can compensate for that using the almost endless combination of tone mod controls on the amp. The 750X really shows the quality of the sound of the Eden cabs whereas the amp I had prior to this (Ampeg SVT 3 PRO/450W) was challeneged by the load and thus the sound wasn't as clean.

As far as amp controls, the Aural Enhancer is cool because it does give a bit more punch and bottom to the overall sound. I haven't found much use for the Overdrive and Subwave (I play mostly blues) but with the little bit of experimenting that I did, I found that I can get a wide variety of sounds using these in combination. OVerall, the amp tone controls are quite versatile.

I bought this amp because I needed more power and didn't have a lot of $$$ to spend - the 750X fit the bill nicely. (I did look at the WT800 but it won't drive 800 W @ 4 ohms - really a shame and a bad design decision on Eden's part IMHO.) I sold the Ampeg for $650 so really I only added $300 to get the 750X.

Bottom line - I'm satisfied with this amp at its price-performance level. I believe SWR product quality to be very good but I don't have long-term expereince yet. (I do own an LA-12 for a practice amp but it's relatively new as well).

Beaver at BC did the deal for me - highly recommended.

e-mail me if you want to talk more on this amp.
  9. Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    I went to the Mars in Charlotte, NC last Wednesday, and they still had the Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 2x10 that I had my eye on for a while and it was 30% off and since I got a good job at McDonald's about a month ago I decided to buy it.
    After coaxing my dad into loaning me the money for it I went back on Friday (Thursday was Thanksgiving) and they still had it but it was 405 off! I almost died when I took my $300 Mesa home and plugged it into my jazz. It sounds so good I've decided to save up $800 and buy a powerhouse 4x10. All this is after I got my Avatar 4x10 this summer and decided that I wouldn't buy anything else for at least a year. Oh well-Mesa rocks

P.S. If anybody wants to buy a used Avatar in perfect condition for about $200 I'll be selling mine in about a month and a half.
  10. banditcosmo,why would you think Mesa would not honor that warranty? did you buy it new? if so,I don't think you have anything to worry about..Mesa don't care what Mars sold it for and it does not matter if Mars is goin out of business...if it was sold NEW than Mesa would be obligated to warranty the amp...and as far as warranty and service go,Mesa is the best in the business,they really stand behind their products...MAIL THAT CARD IN !!!!! you got nuthin to loose and everything to gain
  11. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    As a recipient of Mesa's customer service, I gotta say you have nothing to worry about! I bought a Deisel 210 last year at Hermes Music in San Antonio for $195.00! They had lost the line for discounting, I assume, and Mesa sent me a new driver before I had even sent in the card. It was making some funny noises and they took care of it very quickly with a great attitude.
  12. I agree with you wownirvana. I'm a first time mesa buyer too, and I was estatic when I hooked it up to my setup, it sound so good! I'm definately going to buy more mesa products in the future, probobly a 400+, someday.
    As for the warranty, I asked the guy I brought it from at Mars and he told me they would not honor the warranty. They didn't even give me any card or anything to send in. Come to think of it they didn't even give me a owners manual or anything, I thought that was a little strange.
  13. I went to the MARS in Nashville today and it was pathetic. The only stuff left was floor demo stuff, scrtached and damaged--and they weren't discounted for the damage. Example, a non-functioning Mesa Buster 200 combo (which had been discontinued 2 years ago). They wanted $778 for the thing, maybe it'd be worth $700 if it worked but in its non-functioning condition...

While I was there a worker knocked over a whole display stand of cymbals, I mean 20 inch and bigger expensive ones. Nobody cared.
  14. of course they don't care. All the workers are out of a job, and could care less what anyone does. I mean, when they actually had a job there they didn't care much more than that.
  15. knight

Nov 3, 2002
    Thanks to Mars, lots of happy 750x owners. I just got one myself. I started an arms race with the singer and guitarist from my band, so I got this and two ampeg cabs to handle the power. Sounds pretty amazing! very clean and punchy, cuts through anything. I recommend this combination - the SVT 410 HE is 8 ohm, 500W rated, so if you get one it handles the 450W that the SWR produces at 8 ohm, and if you add another one it can handle the 750W at 4 ohm. Mars only had the 200W rated ampeg which would have been blown in no time.

I also really like the overdrive. I'm starting to get the hang of the subwave, that looks pretty interesting too.