Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MARS in Austin, TX

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Taustin Powers, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Anyone know if they're still open and if they have anything interesting left?

2. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Last time I was in there I realized how evil they are when they wouldn't let a 2 year old girl use the bathroom (they locked them up). I regret every cent I ever spent there. MARS has done a big disservice to the music industry and screwed a lot of people from what I've heard. But to answer your question I doubt there are any deals - there was a Modulus JV there that was cheaper before the bankruptcy than it was after the "huge 30% off sale".

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    san antonio has about 15-20 basses left

4. no deals. glad there outta here.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Interesting that you guys are saying they have no deals left. Is this since last Wednesday? I was there on that day (the day before Thanksgiving) and they had some good bass deals remaining including a nice-looking Modulus Flea 5 string for 979 bucks. I didn't play it...it looked to be in fine condition. That was the best deal I saw as far as sheer percentage of discount. They also had a Modulus Genesis 5 and a Quantum 5 both for good prices and a lot of Spectors...didn't price those as I'm not a fan. Amp-wise they had a boxed and sealed SWR SM-500, an open demo SM-500 (wouldn't touch that one with a ten-foot pole) a couple of nice looking Mesa 2x10's, an SWR Son of Bertha, a Hartke 4x10, some big ugly Roland 4x10 combo, a Mesa 400+ or two and a Mesa Buster combo. They also had some effects including an abundance of MXR bass auto-q pedals and a Tech 21 bass compactor pedal. I bought an Aguilar DB 924 preamp for 69 bucks.

I guess they could have sold all the things listed above since last Wednesday but it would be a surprise to me. (the basses were all haning on the wall near the accessories counter...the amps are in the middle area across from the same counter)

brad cook

6. I was there today. The Genesis 5 (quilted maple top, maple board) they had there was $1079, which seems to be a pretty good price. They also had a Q5 going for something like $1295.

On another note, I can see why they are going out of business. Mars's customer service leaves much to be desired. Every time I ask one of those mooks a question I've left the store wanting to strangle one of 'em.

7. for a "going out of business" sale, these are not really deals.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The Flea 5 MSRP is 2300. It's selling for 979.
    The Genesis 5 MSRP is 2800. It's selling for 1079.

Should they give them away for free??

Yeah, some of the things they have there still aren't that great of a deal (the SM-500's for instance) for going out of business but the Modulus deals they have are excellent. Just because a bunch of a-holes work there and they tried to run a music store like a Circuit City doesn't mean we should pretend that these aren't good deals.

brad cook

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Which pickup does that Flea 5 have in it?

10. your talking MSRP....

dude you know you can go into any music store here and Austin and get less than cost...wait a sec.... sorry, guess i was thinking everyone had a friend who works at a music store like me.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

He must work at Guitar Center. I've heard that line before.

12. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I'm just glad to hear some of you Austinites bash that store, cause it was the WORST. Before they even went into this bankruptcy thing, I refused to go in there because the customer service was so bad---and renowned for it. Kinda like they wore it as a badge or something to be proud of. I tried several times to do business there, but left mad just like LonghornBass said:

13. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I find it odd as the few times that I've visited both Dallas and Austin I've made a point of visiting the Mars stores. I was kinda disappointed to see that they were going down. I was always able to find great deals on strings which I couldn't find anywhere else. I also bought a bunch of the 1.5 instrument cables(which I can't find anywhere else) for hooking up my amp/preamps and my tuner at $7. That's almost the cost of the 1/4 plugs.

Also, the store in Austin had one of the cutest girls working in the guitar department. She was a real Texas sweetheart.;)

Hey if any of you guys are planning a visit back could you do me a favor and see if they still have any Cadence 6 or 8 space, rack cases. The only thing available around Portland is the Road Ready cases that GC sell and they are in the $200 range.

14. If you guys are wondering about the Dallas Mars stores, they were just as horrible as the Austin stores.

HORRIBLE customer service, trashed demos, no flexibility on price...

I see this as a great opportunity for Bass Emporium there in Austin. If I were them, I would be courting Austin bassists LIKE CRAZY!!