Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mars Music

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by b0nes83, Jul 28, 2002.

1. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    Has anyone ever had a bass setup at mars music? I have a Peavey cirrus 4 string and i need a nice set up. peace
    Chad

2. The setups at any store are only as good as the techs. That can vary greatly. Because there's a big name on the front of the store isn't a guarantee that the work is top notch.

You can tell a lot about a tech by just going in asking some questions about your instrument and what the tech would do with it. Also ask for references of other basses he's worked on and talk to the owners. Don't rely on the counter help for this. Another good indication of how a store approaches the setup question is to look at the basses on the wall. If they aren't playable, maybe the management doesn't put too much into the repair and setup end of the biz.

Good Luck

3. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    i agree, mars is only as good as the techs. ive seen some stupid ones, and some great ones...and just about everything in between...

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    IMO, its best to ask other musicians around your area who a good tech is.

A friend of mine who I went to HS with here is a manager for MARS, and he wont even recomend the MARS tech they have. So just because its at MARS doesnt mean the tech is good.

5. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    my mars guitar shut down and went gone

6. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    So, what type of setup work are you having done? Because maybe its something you can do yourself.Only time I would p;ossibly think of taking my Bass to a Tech is if I were changing my pick-ups and even then I would do it myself.:D

7. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    If by setup you mean action, intonation, and truss rod adjustment, those are things that are quite learnable and can save you time and money (not to mention shipping a Cirrus to Mars Music).

Bass setup instructions can be found quite handily on the internet. Here is a link I use as a reference point.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd say this is something you should learn how to do - get you more in touch with your instrument.