Mars v Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NJL, Nov 13, 2002.

1. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    we all know that Mars is going down. in san antonio, it is rumored that Guitar Center will take over the Mars location very soon.

for those of you that have had both, what should we expect from a Guitar Center?
  2. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Poor selection, poor service.
  3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Same crap, different name.

Cheap prices, clueless sales pukes. I will say that I've had better experiences at Guitar Center though. I incessantly bitch about them but I continue to buy from them...the bulk discounts they get make their prices hard to beat.
  4. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    would you say that guitar center has a bigger and better selection for the bass playing community as a whole?
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Guitar Center has a smaller variety of stuff, but their prices are great, if you know how to get 'em. I love GC. They rule. BTW, the salespeople ARE essentially clueless, so you have to know what you want and how much to pay. The managers know more, and are better to deal with.
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've never been to mars, but I have this to say about guitar center....its a great place to get synths, keyboards, drum machines, turntables, lighting equipment, and some drum stuff
    not guitars or basses.
    I've found that they usually carry the top of the line synths alongside economy synths same with turntables and some drum stuff...the fact that they CAN get amazingly good prices means that you CAN get things for really cheap, it just takes a little.
    I got my turntables there, and in turn got an effects processor for 100 bucks off(list price:250) just because I chose to buy them at the same time. I got a discount on the turntables cause I've got stuff from GC before, and I got a free issue of bass player :)
    since GC gives discounts and freebies based on how much you buy at once and how much you've bought, if you've spent over a grand there, then you get some great deals.

I found that in So. cal
    the LA guitar center is pretty good all around, it beats the crap out of the one in oxnard(which is closer to me)
  7. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I've been to both, and basically, you're going to get a limited variety of gear for bassists from any large national chain. They stock for the mainstream, so expect equipment predominantly focused on the student and the amateur gigger. The amp selection was always better at GC, however.