1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mars Volta effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bobulibobium, Apr 23, 2010.

1. i know this isnt a bass effect, but i couldnt find any info googling or search the archives.

does anyone know what effect guitarist, omar rodriguez lopez is using in the chorus to cygnus ... vismund cygnus? heres a quick link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnFKTNC77I

its the sound in the background when the singer sings "sangre, sonando, de rabia naci..."

it sounds like a step effect to me, but im not sure what pedal specifically was used to get this effect. anyone know what pedal omar used to get that sound? i think i saw a boss phaser in a pedalboard shot, but im pretty sure it was the ph2 which didnt have a step function :(

any help?

2. grue

grue

Apr 13, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I love The Mars Volta, but which part is the chorus again? :D

If you can give me a minute mark, I'd like to hear what you're talking about. I probably won't be able to help, but I would enjoy.

Don't forget, though: In the recording studio, I'm sure they had access to all kinds of modern and vintage rack modulation effects, so what you're hearing might not even be a pedal. If it is a pedal, I do seem to remember that they use Moogerfoogers a fair amount, so it might be Moog phaser or Murf or something, too.

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I know Omar has a Robotalk on his board. That would be my guess and what it sounds like from a quick listen.

4. jgriffin

jgriffin

Jun 13, 2009
    Good luck w/ this one - I saw Omar w/ ATDI once (from a side-stage balconey w/a good view of his feet, as it happens) and he had a football field of pedals in front of him.

5. I could not imagine that being just one pedal. Anything is plays is just coated in effects.

6. its about 1:43 to 1:46, i guess lyrics werent a good idea to make you guys listen out for :p

7. wolf7883

wolf7883

Jul 22, 2009
    Naples FL
    Don't know about the effects on that part..Maybe a Moogerfooger LPF in there:bag:....But the song is soooo goood!!!

8. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    His Robotalk solo is so good in one song...

9. wolf7883

wolf7883

Jul 22, 2009
    Naples FL
    I never REALLY listened in on his guitar in that part because Cedric's voice is so dominant but each section of lyrics has its own weird guitar noise behind it it seems...I think it's a few different tracks

10. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    If you're just talking about the part at 1:43-1:46 I really do think that's a Robotalk - in envelope mode.

It doesn't sound like a step filter to me. Just an envelope filter and a discordant, string skipping line. It also sounds like two tracks panned to either side with the left hand side having heavy overdrive or distortion on it relative to the right which sounds a bit cleaner.

Maybe I'm hearing things, but that's what it sounds like to me.