1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Marshall 1987X Plexi conversion build

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Trevorus, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I had an Epiphone Blues Custom 30 that I traded a modded Valve Junior for, knowing it would be a project for me. I first tried modding it not to sound like trash, and I could only get it to sound like a good blues amp, which I don't play a whole lot. On breakup, it just turned to mush...

So I decided to gut it. I was going to go with a JTM45, but I wanted something a little more stout and ballsy, so I decided on a 1987x board from MetroAmp. I bought the Marshall replacement board, since I was kind of doing a similar thing, replacing a board in an existing amplifier. It worked out very well for what I needed it to do. There was only a minor hiccup with accidentally putting a 470K resistor where a 470R should have been. There are some things to clean up yet, but it's functional and sounds great.

I need to order some bigger screen resistors, since the ones I ordered are on the small end of a 5 watt resistor. Luckily I ordered 4 of them, and had ceramic 5w 500r resistors from the guts of the BC30, and I did a parallel of the two 1K's in series with a 500 to get back to my 1K with proper thermal dissipation. I'll likely order proper resistors with some new preamp tubes. Anyone have any recommendations for pre tubes?

I have a master volume setup for it on the way as well (it's SOOO loud!), and I will also be adding an input link switch, for that bridged input thing that people love on this amp so much. I am going to be ordering some WGS speakers for it once I sell a parts guitar I build to generate some funds for the project. Likely a Reaper and a Green Beret.

Anyways, here's the pics!

http://picasaweb.google.com/trevorus305/1987xBuild?authkey=Gv1sRgCLvM2s_tlLfD3wE&feat=directlink

Before:
    1987xBuild%20003.
    1987xBuild%20008.

After:
    IMG_6574.

IMG_6577.

IMG_6578.

IMG_6579.