1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marshall #2054 - 1973 1x15 Cabinet! Need some help with the Speaker choice...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gossard, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Gossard

Gossard

Aug 3, 2018
    Portugal
    Hi to all ;)! I'm new here registered, but I've read a lot from here in the past 15 years and now I need some help from you.

I'm in the process of restore an empty Marshall 1x15 cabinet from 1973 (model #2054)! I'm deciding if I'm going to use it as guitar cab or a bass cab (or something acceptable for both worlds).

If I decide for the Bass cabinet, due to its internal measures and specifications (its the size of a 1960B 4x12 cabinet (but I can give the dimensions to someone that are used to use a special program calculator like I've read somewhere, and that are willing to help me as i never did nothing like that..), what speaker do you think its best/recommended? I know that the "best" it only is, if the speaker was particularly made or tested OK for that cabinet, but back in those days, I think that brands didn't make that study properly as nowadays its possible (probably they just put there something that could handle the power of the amp.. right?).

So I really love to ear some help on this issue. Is there anyone that are willing to help me? I have a NOS boxed EV 15BX Electro-Voice 15" Inch Long Throw Bass Guitar Speaker 400 W 8 ohms.. but i would like probably to get something more vintage since this cabinet its from 1973..
    But what do you think?

Thanks in advanced for all the help.. you guys rock ;)
    Check the photo from a similar cabinet attached!

2054Cab-full-front.

scf4003 and Red Planet like this.
  2. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    That's a sweet cabinet!, I'm sure you'll get tons of advice.

Gossard likes this.
  3. Gossard

Gossard

Aug 3, 2018
    Portugal
    Thanks :D.. lets see... I'm not "graduated" at all on this quality relation between internal size of the cabinet and optimal speaker performance.. I don't know how to do that maths or whatever.. :p and you guys are the best.. so, here I am!

4. Gossard

Gossard

Aug 3, 2018
    Portugal
    Nothing for me? No help or suggestions?

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    1) Welcome to TalkBass!

2) That is one sweet looking cab!

3) Unfortunately, I don't have the program you're talking about. But the people at US Speaker do. And they will take the time to advise you on one thay fits your needs.

http://www.usspeaker.com/homepage-1.htm

Good luck with your hunt!

Gossard and JJR58 like this.
  6. Gossard

Gossard

Aug 3, 2018
    Portugal
    Thanks a lot for all the comments ...
    I also tought that this cab deserves the best options available and optimal speaker performance.

two fingers likes this.
  7. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

@agedhorse may have some suggestions. I’ve never seen that type of Marshall cab before.
    Looks killer!!!

Gossard likes this.
  8. Gossard

Gossard

Aug 3, 2018
    Portugal
    Email sent to this guys.. lets see what they say :)
    For use with guitar I'm inclined to give an opportunity to the new Celestion G15V-100 Fullback, but the challenge is the one for Bass, as I would like to have something that could use all the potencial and specs of this particular model from the 70s Marshall catalogue... very very rare model #2054 Lead & Organ 1x15 cabinet ✌️

JJR58 likes this.
  9. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I used to have a pair of tuck and roll Kustom 2x15 cabs that had CTS square magnet speakers in them. The cabinets were ported and sounded great for both guitar and bass, but the drivers were only good for about 60 watts each. I believe some of the old Fender Bassman 2x15 cabs of the same era had these as an option, too. If your intention is to pair the Marshall with a low wattage amp, you’d probably be fine with something like those if you want a dual purpose cab.

If you use it just for guitar, I would either get the Celestion you mentioned or an Eminence Big Ben. If you use it just for bass, I would pick a driver designed to work in a sealed cabinet (which this appears to be). Eminence has three different 15” bass speakers in the Legend series that are compatible with sealed cabinets so I would browse those and choose one based on what you’re looking for.

Gossard likes this.
  10. Gossard

Gossard

Aug 3, 2018
    Portugal
    THANks a lot voidded3.. very practical and insightful suggestions :)
    For guitar as I love greenbacks, I think that the new G15V-100 Celestion fullback Will be the option...
    for bass I'll listen all the options but I'll read about that legend series... the #2054 has a small open/Port in the back with the size of a rectangular inserted handle, near the input jack!
    Many thanks once again... I'm going to educate myself on that suggestions you gave ;)

voided3 likes this.
  11. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Never seen one of those. Generally, a driver that sounds good for guitar doesn't sound good for bass, and a cabinet that sounds good for bass doesn't sound very good for guitar.

Gossard likes this.
  12. Gossard

Gossard

Aug 3, 2018
    Portugal
    Agree!! But most probably I'll keep two diferent speakers to use on the #2054 cabinet... one exclusively for guitar and another one for bass.. and change them depending on the need

13. Gossard

Gossard

Aug 3, 2018
    Portugal
    Check this out... This Johan Segeborn it's THE man!

14. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Depends on how much of a purist you are and if you want a British speaker in there. and whether you want a organ guitar cab as designed or a higher power bass speaker

Celestion has specific 15 inch drivers for guitar/organ which would be 100 watt 75hz speakers.

Or likewise 15 inch speakers that are designed for higher power bass. With 100 or 200 watt ratings at 45hz that are vintage. Or newer high power celestion designed for bass.

For best both worlds and something that works for bass or guitar. I'd use a cast frame Delta pro 15 from eminence. Not the cheap deltas the pro series delta.

It's similar to the cast frame bass driver legend CB158 which is a good bass specific driver for ported or sealed.

But the delta has gracious amounts of sweeter mids and high-end for guitar organ or bass.

For little more power handling the kappa Pro 15 has decent highend and beefier 3 inch voice coil. Somewhat similar to the delta pro and legend. Cast frame with large 80 ounce magnet. Just larger voice coil.

Gossard likes this.
  15. Gossard

Gossard

Aug 3, 2018
    Portugal
    @BogeyBass
    Thanks for the reply and suggestions.. In fact I'm normally a purist, but this time I thought that would be best to ask for some advices on this. You were totally right.. If i didn't want to give this to much thought and keep it "old", I would use for the guitar a vintage Celestion G15M-50 55Hz T1757, and for the Bass a Celestion Powercell 250 or 150 watt heavy duty 15 inch speaker, and that's it... Marshall almost always used Celestion Speakers into the cabinets.
    But as i have a lot of cabinets with old speakers, now i'm looking for something new and more in line with the real specs of the cabinet itself, so I can take advantage of the full potential of the combination cab+speaker.
    I'll definitely will take a look into the models you refer and keep your suggestions in mind ;)
    thanks!

16. Gossard

Gossard

Aug 3, 2018
    Portugal
    As I refer here on the beginning of this post, I have an EV 15BX Electro-Voice 15" Inch Long Throw Bass Guitar Speaker 400 W 8 ohms, laying around without use..
    #1: What do you think about this speaker?
    #2: Can you please help shedding (on me) some light over its Specs manual?
    Check it here!
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/43602/Electro-Voice-15bx.html

jov9rhnyz3518weguq0g.

Attached Files:

17. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I woukd suggest the Alpha 15A or if your looking for higher power the Beta 15A both Eminence.

To me they are a good cross between bith guutar and bass. Though your performance will be better if you dont try to do both .

agedhorse likes this.
  18. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Seems to me your friend with the speaker cab software could use the specs to give you some info on whether the speaker would work or not.:thumbsup:

agedhorse likes this.
  19. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    You know another really good choice would be an EVM15L.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    agedhorse likes this.
  20. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Very interesting enclosure design.

How big is the opening that the woofer fires through?

Do you know what the approximate internal volume is for that cabinet?

If not, can you give us the external dimensions and approximate depth of the short "horn"? And, what is the thickness of the wood?

Would you be able to get a very solid, air-tight seal between the back panel and the box? Air leaks are okay for a guitar cab, but not for a bass cab.

Finally, would you be comfortable adding one or more ports to the back panel?

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Stumbo likes this.