Marshall 4x12 GUITAR Cab Making Horrible Sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by agreatheight, Mar 15, 2006.

I know this is a Guitar Cab question, but I put it in Misc and was told to move it here so...

Today when I plugged into my Marshall 4x12 guitar cab is made a horrible buzzing mweeerrrrp sound when I played. It sounded like the entire cab was vibrating. Very bad. It only happened when I played with a bassier distortion and was much worse on certain notes / chords, notably A#. I wasn't pushing the amp too hard (reasonable volume) and was running the correct ohms from amp to cab. A friend said that the cab might be 'tuned' to a certain frequency and that the cab was sympathetically vibrating when I played near or at that frequency, but that seems a bit crazy to me.

Then I read a related? thread here on TB - could this be from underpowering? The head is a SOVTEK MIG 50: 50 watts (selectable ohms - set to 8) and the cab is the MARSHALL 1960B STRAIGHT: rated 300 MONO / 150 STEREO and I'm running it mono (just using one input, set to mono | selectable ohms - using one input also set to 8). The underpowering thread went WAY over my head, and was geared towards bass amps (where clipping is an unexpected and generally unwanted phenomenom). How close do you need to be in terms of power? Am I underpowering the cab? How is this all affected by using distortion (clipping)? How is this affected by class A or class A/B?

I am very confused! HELP! Any ideas? Anyone know where else on the net to ask? Who can help in this hour of distress?

Thanks in advance!
  2. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    First, check the screws holding the speakers in. Then, check every other screw on the thing, casters, logo, handles, etc to make sure they're tight. After that, open the cab (if you haven't already) and see if any bracing/baffling inside it may have fallen off.

If everything's nice and tight, then it's probably your speakers or amp.
  3. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Check the screws that hold the baffle/grille in place. I used Marshall 1960 cabs for years, and about every 3rd gig I'd tighten everything up. It's kind of a pain, but DAMN they sound good!
  4. OK, I have now checked every screw on the amp inside and out and everything is plenty tight (whose idea was it to attach the grill cloth from the inside? DUMBASS). Nothing was terribly loose (actually everything was reasonably tight, really) so I don't think that was the problem, although it's too late now to fire it up and check so I'll do so first thing in the AM.

Any other ideas?
  5. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Sell it and get a Randall. :-D
  6. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    you arent underpowering the cab. I think your friend may be right. guitar speakers are usually rated down to about 70 hz. if you push frequencies below 70hz it can sound like a big fart, even at lower volumes.
  7. Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Get a Mesa oversized Dual Rec if you love detuned bass-heavy chunky metal sounds, they handle it much better. Or a Diezel or Bogner Uberkab if you have the bucks. They handle it much much better. But in the meantime tighten everything, and put your ear to each speaker to check if they're blown. Watch your levels when you do this though. Good luck!
  8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You cannot underpower a speaker.
  9. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You're right. I hate that terminology. I think we should call is overtaxing the amplifier.