Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marshall 8x10 Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davehewitsonuk, Aug 24, 2003.

1. davehewitsonuk

davehewitsonuk

Feb 24, 2003
    Hi

i am soon to buy a mashall 8x10 bass cab, (an older style one).

and i was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of what sort of amps to buy??

the cab is rated at 400 watts RMS.

i was looking for a head somewhere within the region of £450UK (approx $650 US dollars).

thanks

Dave

2. Lol, that's interesting. my 2x10 handels almost twice the power.

I dunno what to say.

3. What is the ohms rating on the Marshall? Maybe a Carvin RL600 or RL1000 will work for you. They fit into your price bracket too.

4. davehewitsonuk

davehewitsonuk

Feb 24, 2003
    well,

theres 2 seperate inputs.

4 ohm and 16 ohm

5. I think either the carvin, or maybe a sansamp RBI+QSC RMX poweramp would be a good bet in the pricerange, and I'd use the 4 ohm input.

6. davehewitsonuk

davehewitsonuk

Feb 24, 2003
    could anyone let me know where i could get one of these amps in the UK?

thanks

Dave

7. QSC arn't so cheap over here like the are in the US.

There are soo many options. You could go used if you dont mind the risk. then theres the head or pre/power route. It all depends what sound you are looking for. Don't worry about the low power rating on the cab, a 500-600 watt amp will probably be better for it then a 300W one that is being pushed to the limit.

Used trace elliots seem to give good bang for the buck. Keep your eye on ebay.

Go to as many music stores as you can and try out everything, they shop around for the best price.

Good Luck
    Andy :bassist: