Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marshall Amp not cutting it

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BenHack, Feb 6, 2001.

1. Hey Guys

I'm currently playing a 5 string Warwick fortress Masterman (or a 5 string Stingray) through a marshall 200 W head driving a 4x10 sovtek box. THe problem I get is that I don't seem to get much warmth to my tone and I also find that I have to run the amp almost full when having a rehearsal (damn loud drummers and guitarists :(). I've played through a 1000 W Sunn head and it had warmth even at low volumes (and I assume it would have no problem cutting it at rehearsal). So I'm wondering whether I'd be better off buying another cabinet or if I should go for a more powerful head.

Also could a combo (such as a 210 Ashdown) cut it. I'm playing in a band which plays a mix of metal/punk and reggae/ska, but I'm interested in playing jazz, fusion and acid jazz when I have time to start my own band. Anyone got any suggestions???

Keep Grovvin' C-YA.

Ben

2. Is that the 7200? Hideous thing. Characterless and generally lousy. Sell it. Marshall can't make bass amps.

In my utterly objective opinion, of course....

3. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I agree with Andy, I had the 400w stereo rack version and by itself it lacked all the characteristics of acceptable bass tone amplification. But I have used it as a straight power amp with a tube preamp and it was ok. Not great though.