1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marshall amps - any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm looking for a good budget head that will give me aprox 400 watts and not break the bank. I've had the Hartke 3500 recommended to me as a good option with plenty of power at a good price. I currently play through a Peavey combo and I'm satisfied with my tone. I saw a Marshall head advertised that is just a little cheaper than any used Hartke I've found. It's a (used) Marshall 3540 and is described as: SS Preamp and 400 watts bi-amp ready. Does anybody have any experience with this Marshall 3540, and what exactly is meant by "400 watts bi-amp ready"? How would this head compare to the Hartke 3500?

Would it be worth it to step up to a (used) Ampeg SVT - 3 "rackmount Amp head w/ Tube Preamp, 350 watts and rack case"? The hartke / marshall options are about what I want to spend - The Ampeg is about another $150 more than what I want to spend, but if I could expect a big difference maybe it would be worth it?
    I also wondered - if I am willing to "settle" on tone with brands like Hartke or Marshall, or maybe even Peavey - then maybe I should settle for the Behringer Ultrabass BX300OT. With 300 watts and a $200 price tag (and free shipping at music123) - that head might be very hard to beat, at least price wise.
    Any advise to help me get a budget amp that is not a total piece of junk? It's going to power a 400 watt / 4 ohm 2 x 15 cab for use with a 2 guitar band playing rock, blues, and country. Any thoughts?