Marshall amps - any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm looking for a good budget head that will give me aprox 400 watts and not break the bank. I've had the Hartke 3500 recommended to me as a good option with plenty of power at a good price. I currently play through a Peavey combo and I'm satisfied with my tone. I saw a Marshall head advertised that is just a little cheaper than any used Hartke I've found. It's a (used) Marshall 3540 and is described as: SS Preamp and 400 watts bi-amp ready. Does anybody have any experience with this Marshall 3540, and what exactly is meant by "400 watts bi-amp ready"? How would this head compare to the Hartke 3500?

Would it be worth it to step up to a (used) Ampeg SVT - 3 "rackmount Amp head w/ Tube Preamp, 350 watts and rack case"? The hartke / marshall options are about what I want to spend - The Ampeg is about another $150 more than what I want to spend, but if I could expect a big difference maybe it would be worth it?
    I also wondered - if I am willing to "settle" on tone with brands like Hartke or Marshall, or maybe even Peavey - then maybe I should settle for the Behringer Ultrabass BX300OT. With 300 watts and a $200 price tag (and free shipping at music123) - that head might be very hard to beat, at least price wise.
    Any advise to help me get a budget amp that is not a total piece of junk? It's going to power a 400 watt / 4 ohm 2 x 15 cab for use with a 2 guitar band playing rock, blues, and country. Any thoughts?