Marshall amps??!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassRacer, Mar 22, 2001.

1. BassRacer

Mar 22, 2001
    I am curious what everyones thoughts are on Marshall bass
    amps. Looking at there website, they look interesting, but
    I have never seen a store that has them, or anybody that
    plays them.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

No tengo gusto...they don't do a thing for me. The heads aren't bad, but the cabs are like yesterday's technology. Pretty skanky in the depth department, kind of mid-rangy, good treble, (I'm referring to their stack). I think that's why you don't see them very much, connected to a bass.

Some of us just got through beating up on them in a thread about Dusty Hill using them.

Whoops, had to edit, (as usual), welcome to TalkBass!
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Here in the USA, Marshall has never been a popular bass amp. For that matter, no UK brand except Trace and Ashdown have ever been very popular here.

I've never really understood that, since the Marshall bass amps I've tried were decent amps.

After all, when Marshall first started up in the amp business, all they made were bass amps!
  4. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    I agree. I too don't understand why bass players in the USA are fond of bashing Marshall amps/heads, or Trace for that matter. Is it a "patriotic" thing or what? In UK/Europe and Asia Pacific, professional bass players frequently play through British-made amps (Trace, Marshall, etc). Although my amp head is US-made, my cabs (Trace, Marshall) are all made in the UK. I think they sound pretty decent, and no one has yet complained that my bass sound sucks.
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    All i have to say is...WHY?!?!

6. I have a small "valvestate" 30W combo that I use for practicing alone and I actually really like its sound.
    Never tried the marshall heads, though: Look at the price. They seem awfully expensive to me, and I just can't afford that.
    But especially the features of the 7400 head sound really interesting.
  7. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i played an old marshall jcm 800 all tube head with my ampeg cab. the impression was really good. sure about that the sound was not modern or slappy and that the head could be considered as obsolete, but my rickenbacker sounded great with the jcm 800. a really powerful and round rock sound, sweeter than ampeg and more southern oriented.
  8. I still own a 400w intregated bass system(model3540)from the 80's which served me well for many years.It's not the greatest sounding head out there but it did it's job well..not to mention that I have used it as a p.a. head on more than one occasion(it has direct amp inputs and amp outs)and used it to power moniters...I can't seem to part with it,as it has so many uses..a real I use it as a slave for my bass rig(when I need extra watts or to power more cabs) and I only paid $135.00 for it(crackhead needed money...lucky to be him)but I would not even consider using as my main amp now the pre-amp is quite sterile sounding and the e.q. sucks..but like I said, a workhorse..don't know anything about the newer stuff..nothing grabbed my attention..too much new stuff out there thats waaayyyy better...