marshall and hartke cab q

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chris h, Nov 2, 2003.

1. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    hi, i have a hartke 3500 head with 2 8 ohm outputs on it. Would it be ok to connect a 410bxl 8ohm cab and a 16ohm marshall 4x12 cab? i also have a 210bxl 8ohm cab. I need an answer fast as im about to buy the cab on ebay. I think this would add up to 6ohms which is above the 4ohm minimum load so should be ok? im worried the cabs wont get equal power or something?!

2. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I would not try to play bass through a Guitar 4x12 cab.
    Most guitar cabs are not designed to produce low frequencies and do not handle much power. Most guitar cabinets are not very deep and are sealed - both negatively affect deep low frequencies.
    Most guitar speakers are designed to "break up" and distort - giving part of the distorted tone to a guitar. Most Bass speakers are designed to produce clean sound.

What is the power handling of the Marshall Cab?
    Is the power handling lower than what your amp is putting out?
  3. If you connect the 410 and 210, both at 8 ohms, they will both receive half the power of the amp (equal). With the Marshall, I think it would only get half the power as the 410.

As far as wattage handling is concerned, most Marshall 4x12s can handle 300 watts IME, so that end of it won't be a problem assuming you're looking for badly distorted tone.