Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marshall Bass Amps & Cabinents, opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by White_Knight, Aug 13, 2000.

1. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I was searching through the manufacturer index over at Harmony Central today and ended up cruising over to the Marshall website. I just noticed that they are producing alot of bass gear, though I've never seen or heard of any of their bass gear before. Opinions on their stuff are what I'm looking for. I'm not looking to buy, just to satisfy my apetite for info.

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I once owned a 200W solid state head wich I bought used, I guess it was from the late 80ies. Didn't like it too much, rather harsh sounding, not very effective EQ so I sold it pretty soon to my cousin who used it in a hardcore band and pushed it really hard (constantly cranked). I heard some rehearsals of their band: the Marshall head was seriously underpowered but still made it for 5 years! 5 years constantly running at max. power and with all the loving care :D of my cousin - must be pretty robust gear...

Another story:
    I recently heard a 3-piece 'chicago blues' band in a small blues cafe' and was completely stunned by the perfect bass sound - punchy, tight, lots of low end, very round sound (it did not run through the PA).
    It was a brand new 4x10 Marshall combo and I was rather surprised... (don't want to move that around though)

3. I used my friend's marshall B65 combo with a 12 inch speaker for four months until i got a loud enough amp of my own, it held it's own pretty well against a half stack and a 2x12, both turned up a little bit too high. the sound qualtiy wasn't too great for the price ($600) and my the owner ended up selling it for $200 when he got his carvin after owning it for about 2 years.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    honestly i have to say that bast mashall product for bass i have played is the old all valve jcm 800 100w head. the rest is not so bad and not so good. if you are interested in combo or practice amp i think i have to suggest crate. waiting to see the vox t 25

5. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Thanks all. I was just wondering what other people thought of these amps/cabs. BTW, barroso, I do own two Crate amps (and I love them despite what anyone else may say!).