marshall bass cabs; any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yoshi, Aug 16, 2002.

1. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    as the title says^

its a JCM 800 1935 series, 4x12, 300w.

thanks for the advice.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IMHO - Even though Marshall began as a bass amp maker, the company pushed their bass technology to the back burner when guitarists went nuts over then and Marshall concentrated its efforts on guitar amps ( very understandably with the success that company has had with guitar amps......."dance with the one who brung ya!").

To my taste, they sound good but very "middy" for bass. Among popular amps, I think Ampeg has them beat on the more vintage, "thick lows". SWR whoops `em on the metallic, hi-fi end, and Eden wipes them out on either tonal end.

I find them closer the "thick" Ashdown sound and see which I liked better because I don't find them all that different, tonally. Just my opinion.
  3. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    I borrowed a marshall 4x10 bass cab for a couple of months. It sounded ok. I had a piece of s#!t amp, so I never found out what it was really capable of. It was really heavy and practically indestructible. Not big in the low end department, but what 4x10 is? I know a guy who runs two of them, he seems to like them. I think they're kinda rare. Any body else see many of these?
  4. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London

ive a 1x15 to go along side it, well if i buy this marshall. if not ill just hang around until i see something else cheap, second hand preferably!
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Well, the beauty, price wise, is that sticking a Union Jack on something doesn't automatically add $300US to the sticker price where you live yoshi. You all in Britain couldn't care less about a Union Jack decal/badge.
    But after The Who and other British bands beat we Yanks up with the incredible "British" sound, we're suckers, by and large, for anything with the British "cachet."

I guess the same thing happens over where you live.. I would guess that the the older Fender and Ampeg stuff that we Yanks tend to take for granted over here is precious in your neck of the woods.
  6. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    yeah, good point!

ive seen a nifty set of 2 4x12 marshalls on a 2nd hand site, but only want one so ill ring him/her and see what he thinks.
  7. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
  8. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    The JCM 800 is a guitar amp. I would assume that the matching cab is also for guitar. Don't use it for bass or you'll blow it up!
  9. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    This is a pic of a jcm800 amp and 4x12" celestion cab. The jcm800 came as the 'Bass series' in the 1980's. They are rated at 100w. They do sound quite mid-rangey and the cab is fairly thin, limiting the lows. However, they do sound pretty sweet, and personally I like 'em!

Try one out if you can, I think if you look on ebay you will find a couple of marshall bass cabs.

Get a look at this:
  10. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    i was at a music shop looking for amps a while back.... they had this marshal bass stack... it was i think a 4x10... or maybe a 4x8? those exist?... well any ways.. it also had a 1x15... and a 200 watt head... it was under powered of course... but it sounded ok...
  11. zoran

May 10, 2002
    i ve played marshall cab with trace elliot 300 w head, and it sound... well , dirty with lot of mids compared with trace combo for example, but with a band sound very good.
    I did not help too much
  12. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    rickbass, are you saying Ashdown cabs sound similar to Marshall? I like the Marshall JCM800 Bass Series 4x12 and 2x15 cabs a LOT, which Ashdown cabs sound closest?
  13. Achmed108

Jan 26, 2004
    Honestly, I think they're nothing but crap, IMO.

But that's just my opinion. I'd much rather have a Carvin 2x10 or Fender 8x10, or even an Ampeg, those are nice. They're probably all going for a reasonable price, unless you got that Marshall for free.

Now if you've already played through it and you think it sounds good, then by all means go ahead and buy it, if you think its worth the money. I've never heard of problems with Marshall speakers or amplifiers at all. Our guitarist plays an '80s JCM900 (or is it JCM9000?) and it still sounds awesome, but he loves his Fender Hot Rod so much more...just goes to show ya...

14. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Ach, I'm sure 99% of talkbass would agree with you. And IMO all your clear hi-fi and mud-rock rigs sound like garbage.

I've played thru a lot of different cabs and backline gear including Eden, Ampeg, Mesa, Peavey, Carvin, SWR, GK, Hartke, Fender, and Trace, and for metal the Marshall JCM800 Bass Series blows them all away. Like Zoran said, "dirty with a lot of mids". The only thing that even comes close is the Ampeg SVT cab, and the Marshall 2x15 is half it's size, just as loud, and not as muddy.

That's why I was interested when rickbass compared Ashdown to Marshall.