Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marshall Bass heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by life.x, Apr 2, 2004.

1. life.x

life.x

Dec 21, 2003
    hamburg ny
    Does anyone know any particular about Marshall Bass Amps, particularly the 3250 model....i heard that they are older but still good heads...if you could help me it would be appreciated.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think Jack Bruce possibly used a Marshall amps (dozens) in the Cream days?

3. Jack used the 100 & 200 Watts tube amps, so did I in my days in Germany. The amp you're referring to is the solid state amp and a very decent amp. I played the Marshall 400 Watts bass amp for a while. Very underrated, excellent eq, simple to use and that amp has balls, 400 very loud Watts, even bi-ampable. I don't understand why Marshall didn't push this very amp more on the US market. In Europe/Germany, Marshall bass amps where darn popular and excellent amps.

:bassist:

4. I have a Marshall VBA 400 amp with 2 4x12 cabs. It has an imense sound. If you like straight forward rock / blues sounds then this could be an amp for you. I'm totally in love with mine !

Stu

5. Stu, couldn't agree more. I loved mine, but it was on the heavy side (yeah, I'm getting older, hehe).

6. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I haven't had a chance to try any of their SS amps, but have been using an old 100W tube superlead for the highend of a biamp rig for the past 25 years... I used to have a 200W Major on the low end - that was a nice sounding head too, until the transformer went. :(

7. life.x

life.x

Dec 21, 2003
    hamburg ny
    awright, thanks for the information about the head, yea why doesn't Marshall even do anything about Bass Heads?

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I posted this in another Marshall thread but it's relevent here, so I'll paste it in.

"I used my Girlfriend's Marshall bass amp while I was in between amps a couple of years ago. I can remember the model but it was a Tube/solid state Hybrid, all Gold and pretty loooking, 400W at 2 ohms.

It wasn't as bad as I though it was goung to be. I pulled a decent sound out of it with some pretty heavy tweaking. Then it went POP! There were no external fuse holders so I figured the problem was more sinister. So I took it to a repairer.

Turns out Marshall in their wisdom put the fuse INSIDE the amp. And it was positioned so that when it blew, it took out the surrounding components. It was a $100 Aus. repair job.

As I was handing over the money I asked "What should I do to prevent this happening again?'. The answer was "There is nothing you can do. Marshalls are notorious for this". Apparently their guitar amps have the same problem.

So I asked the obvious question "If they're notorious for it, how come thay sell all those amps?"

He just shrugged his shoulders and pulled a "Buggered if I know" face........"