Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marshall Broadcasting Service

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tenchu, Sep 12, 2004.

1. A few minutes ago, at 21:28h. my amp recieved some kind of radio station. I don't know what caused it, but my cabinet was definately putting out some kind of radio show and what's even weirder: it was in Spanish. It started out very silently, the volume slowly increased and then it faded out again.
    The head is a 200w Marshall Integrated Bass System and the cab is a Marshall JCM 800 Bass Series.
    Has anyone else ever experienced this and does anyone know what could have caused it?
    :eyebrow: :confused:

2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    When I played through the PA moniter for jazz band, I got an AM news radio station here in LA.

3. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl

It was documented in a rockumentary, called This is Spinal Tap! :smug:

I've heard of it happening a few times, I borrowed a bass wah once and it did the same thing, with the pedal pressed it was a stronger signal than with it released.

4. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    This is a common problem with most High-gain amplifiers such as Marshalls. You will find that there is either a problem with the guitar leads, effects or the first stage of the amplifier which is acting as a detector for the random frequency which it is receiving.

There are a couple of ways to try and solve the problem, one is to first find where it is happening by systematically unplugging everything that is attached to the amplifier,including effects and loop outs etc. If the radio signals are still there once everything is unplugged then the problem is within your amplifier and you'll find something is dectecting these signal and the amplifier just so happens to be amplifing them (surprise!)

If you find the problem is with the leads then you might find that there is insufficent screening of them and it might be worth buying ferrit (sp?) rings which you can attach around the lead.

Hopefully this helps you out if the problem comes back. Just to let you know I am in to Ham Radio and so is my father so problems like this are common.