Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marshall Cabs...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rumblebee, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Rumblebee

Rumblebee Guest

Mar 16, 2005
    Hey...

I know that Marshall bass cabs have a bad rep (well, maybe not a bad rep, but not held in as high regard as their guitar brethern). Does anybody have experience with the Dynamic Bass Systems line, now discontinued, I believe. Any experiences are appreciated. Thanks!

2. Rumblebee

Rumblebee Guest

Mar 16, 2005
    I'll settle for tall tales and rumorous hearsay :)

3. They have a dynabass (400 watt head) and its corresponding 2x15 cab where i practice each week

And, i love it!! it sounds great, even with some overdrive going throug it, it is a really good sounding amp, if i got the chance at one i would buy it for sure, even tho i really dont need it!

Only problem with the one ive played is it cuts out alot, but thats some sort of problem with the input section, maybe a dodgy tube, (even all the way over to SS on the preamp select dial i think the tube needs to be in the circuit)

But, back to the 2x15 cab, very very nice,, and very very loud ! :D

4. Rumblebee

Rumblebee Guest

Mar 16, 2005
    Hey! Thanks. That's really helpful. A couple of reviewers on HC seemed to really like the cabs (I'm assuming they have Celestions in them, though I may be wrong). But I've also heard some criticisms of the BassState stuff... well, you know, trying to get as many opinions as possible. Anyone else got some playing time on these cabs?

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My ex had a marshall bass head (400w at 2 ohms) and corresponding 4x10. She wasn't a bass player, more of a PA owner operator, but she had dabbled with bass and hence owned a bass rig.

The amp wasn't too bad. I used it for several gigs when my own amp was in getting repaired. It had a tube/Solid state hybrid and could be forced to sound OK with some agressive EQing. Then the fuse blew. It was a glass fuse and when it exploded, it took out a tube and a bunch of other components. To make it worse, the fuse was entirely internal so even if it was the only thing wrong with it, the only way to fix it was to open it up. In the end I paid a tech to fix it and when I asked what I could do to prevent it happening again, he shrugged his shoulders and said "There's nothing you can do. It's a Marshall".

The 4x10 cab was heavier than an Eden 4x10. I couldn't lift it by myself unless I first psyched myself up as a weightlifter would. It sounded pretty good, but I only used it for one gig and hence didn't get to know it all that well.

That's my Marshall experience.

6. Ive only tried the dynabass amp and cab i mentioned, ive only ever tried one bass state amp, and that was at a friends flat being shown some songs, so i didnt pay much attention to how it sounded as an amp, it was a pretty small combo too, so, i dont know

I really dont have a clue what the speakers are in the cab, but still, sounded good!

7. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I purchased a Marshall DBS 1x15 about two or so years ago. Great cab and has great lows (may be too boomy for some) and great punch, especially for a big ol' 15. The only complaint I have is the sheer size and weight of the thing. I'm interested in trying out another version of the cab like a 2x10 especially with my 15. I think I bought mine for a little over $300, so it was a great buy to boot.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Marshall amps/cabs for bass are commonplace in England but practically non-existant in the states. Never tried one so don't know but I've had quite a few Celestion 15's which are decent speakers and also shunned in the states for bass. Go figure.

I had a guy email once looking for some 10 or 12" celestion sidewinder speakers cause I had some 15's for sale once. He and his band had just recorded an entire CD playing everything through a Marshall 4 x "whatever" cab that he said was incredible. Don't remember if he mentioned the amping.

I'm guessing whatever it would be when it comes to Marshall, it would not be transport friendly.

9. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    a friend of mine plays a Fender Dual Showman or Bassman 100 through a pair of Marshall bass cabs(4X10 and 2X12). I've never seen these cabs anywhere else though. They're deeper and a little bigger than the 4X12 guitar cabs. Might be JCM800 series. They sound pretty good, although a lot of it is because of the "tone is in the fingers" thing.

10. must be, ive only seen that one in scotland . . .

11. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    If your a young amateur playing rock and roll or something of that ilk, they're "okay." If you're a pro or semi-pro, then IMO, they are lacking.

Then again, they'd be good if you want a Lemmy tone. :smug:

12. bit harsh there

are you also implying that only amatuers play "rock and roll or something" ?

Ill be honest in that i couldnt stand 15" speakers until i had tried the marshall

each to their own still i spose

13. Rumblebee

Rumblebee Guest

Mar 16, 2005
    Wow, all these comments are great. Thanks, guys. Yeah, my understanding is these DBS cabs are heavy beasts... and I'm just an amateur playing punk 'n rock 'n stuff so I'd be lugging that one myself ;) Again, thanks. Any more experiences are, of course, welcome.

14. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    I'm not saying only amateurs play R&R, but if your a pro, these days at least, you need a cab that's more versatile. Marshall cabs are one dimensional. I personally think Ampeg are a better cab for Rock.

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    :eyebrow:

16. so am i but shust ;)

Versitility isnt that important if your a one trick pony :D