Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

marshall dbs 7400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by koan, Jul 17, 2002.

1. koan

koan

Jul 11, 2002
    Hi guys, I'm looking into buying a Marshall DBS 7400 system, both the head and the 7410 cabinet. I'm wondering what you guys think of the rig. I'm looking to play both heavy rock/metal through it as well as a bit of jazz. Basically I need heaps of power but I also need versatility. And do you think $1500 AUS is a good price for it, second hand but in mint condition? It works out to be around $3000 US.

Cheers,

Mat

PS Just editing this now...when I said $3000 US I meant $750 US! Sorry

2. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    $3000US for a used marshall head and 410? that seems like its not worth it, in my opinion. you can find much better gear for less. what other companies do you have available in australia that you can try out? i would suggest checking out ALL of your options before dropping that much cash on an amp, especially a marshall. i think you'll find the general opinion around here is that marshall should stick to making guitar amps. but then again, if your ears like it....

3. koan

koan

Jul 11, 2002
    Woops I'm retarded...I'm multiplying instead of dividing....

$1500 AUS = @ $750 US

lol

4. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I don't get the whole USD-AUD money conversion thing. I just looked at Wayne Jones' website and noticed that their cabs cost $1500 US dollars as opposed to $2200 Australian dollars. If an American dollar is worth about half as much as an Aussie one, that means Americans must be getting a $2900 discount, or Australians are getting a 400% markup.

Anyway, I'm guessing you guys somehow get the raw deal when it comes to buying amps in general, especially if a secondhand 4x10 rig costs the equivalent of $3000 US. I haven't heard (or heard much about) Marshall bass amps, but you may want to shop around some more.

5. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Wait, so USD are worth twice as much? Confused... head exploding... ARGH!

6. koan

koan

Jul 11, 2002
    Yes, US dollars are worth just less than twice as much as AUS $ at the moment. Sorry for the confusion!!

Thanks for the advice...

Mat

7. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    wow, im lost now too. i USED to have an online currency converter, though i forget what the site was. do a search, perhaps. in any case, i still recommend shopping around a little bit.

8. recently bought me an DBS 7400 for 800 euro. You must know that most gear in the Netherlands is about 2 times more expensive than te same stuff in the states. why? I don't know.

The Amp rocks. You can put more than 2000 watts of speakers on it, run the amp at 11 and she NEVER clips. Full bottom end, ever.

I replaced the original preamp tube for a sovtek to get more character. If you want Rock, you get it with this amp.

At least, that's my opinion.

9. koan

koan

Jul 11, 2002
    just letting you guys know that i bought the system and it's been working very well for me for the past year or so. very loud, very nice tone. an extra cabinet would not go astray, but at the moment i have enough volume with the 4x10 cab to compete with two guitarists playing through powerful amps and quads.

basically there are two problems with the system though:

the cabinet is heavy. ridiculously so.

the fan is too loud to make it viable for recording.

but as a live set up it is great.

10. the fan is loud indeed. but too loud....no. I am not shure if it has different speeds, if not, they should have done that.

11. I had a 200 watt 15" DBS 7215 combo about 5 years ago. Sounded great in the shop, but I couldn't get a useable sound out of it. YMMV.

It's VERY easy to drown your audience with bass frequencies without realising it with the DBS amps. I sold mine three months after I bought it to a local bar, which is still thrashing the hell out of it six hours a night 7 days a week, so....

Whenever I play at that bar I bypass the preamp and run a SansAmp BDDI straight into the power amp in and get a great sound.