Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marshall DBS vs VBA400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by django, Dec 20, 2004.

1. django

django

Dec 20, 2004
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´ve tried the VBA400 and fell in love with its warm sound, but it´s too expensive for me. But i´ve found an used Dynamic Bass System head and cab pretty cheap. Any thoughts on this? How do they differ?

2. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    How much was the VBA400? Just wondering, since I've been looking into them. Never played one though, sounds good?

3. The DBS is solid state. It sounds like most other solid state bass amps with a slightly edgier overdrive. The DBS cabs are very heavy in the low midrange, sounding like a darker/muddier Eden XLT.

4. django

django

Dec 20, 2004
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I was under the impression that the dbs had a valve preamp (ECC83) (and a mosfet too, so you could blend them) so I figured it would sound somewhat tubeish. The VBA is all tube, and i really liked the sound of it, although it perhaps only had one sound. But that was a good thing for me - just plug in and play.

The DBS has some nice features according to the marshall site:

"High and low Inputs For active or passive basses.

Gain Controls the overall input level and the threshold level of the compressor.

Pre-Amp Blend Blends the input pre-amp signal from percussive solid-state to warm vintage valve, with endless combinations in between.

Hi & Lo Primary EQ Rotary controls giving + or -15dB cut and boost of the primary EQ ideal for setting up an excellent basic sound.

Deep and Bright Switches Add greater depth to the bottom end and boost the top end of the primary EQ.

7 Band Graphic Equaliser Provides cut and boost of + or -15dB of the frequencies most effective for dynamic bass performance and gives vast amounts of fine tuning possibilities. The graphic can also be switched on/off by remote footswitch.

Compressor Industry standard high quality compressor with depth control, threshold indicator and on/off switch.

DI Pre or Post EQ Selection Switch Gives your PA or Recording engineer the choice of signal either before or after EQ and compression have been added."

But how does it sound?

oh btw, the vba costs about $2000 here in Sweden with a VBC412 cab.