Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

marshall guitar amp AVT-50H

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by a e i o u, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Sorry for non bass related but I know alot of you play guitar too... I am looking for a gigging amp head for guitar to play distorted almost all of the time. it would be in a punk/hardcore band. I was thinking about the AVT 50 because it is supposed to have a more tube like sound, and I can get it used for around 350. I am on a tight budget. It is either this amp or the hdx 100...the one that is 400 new. I can get that used for 207. i love the vintage tube distortion you get from a mesa, so i thought the AVT 50 would sound better to me.I am scared that the 50 watts might be just enough or even not enough. this would be used playing in vfw amvet style halls. :hyper:

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Not being an a$$ but this should be in Misc.

Anyways, my guitarist just recently bought a used AVT150 head and matching cab for $750 at GC. The head itself was only $469. The AVT definately has a nice sound.

I personally would think it (AVT50) would be underpowered for the music you wish to play. I can still drown out my guitarist with my Trace 350watt rig. :D

I feel you would be better off searching for a used head that will give you the sound and the volume your going to need. Just a few I would recommend to check out:
    H&K Warp 7 (made for the modern detuned guitarist)
    Marshall 8100 Valvestate head (this is the head that started it)
    Ampeg VH-140C (awesome head if you can find one)
    Line6 Spider II head (this is a really nice head although I admit I don't like Line6 Products)

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    My guitarist plays through an AVT150 also. It's CRAZY loud with the right type of pedal... he uses the Digitech Grunge pedal.

The AVT150 is $700 brand new, and he got that with a Marshall 1960A cab for another $700. VERY pricey, but so worth it.

I'd go ahead and pull the trigger on the AVT50. I've heard hardcore bands here perform with Single Rect. heads.... but of course they were mic'd through the PA... and the Rect. is all-tube. But still... the AVT is louder than any SolidState head you'll find, pretty much.

Another option is to look around for a used 5150. They get a decent tube sound, and are pretty cheap nowadays. However, I've heard that they have some malfunctioning troubles.

Either way, my vote goes for the AVT50 at that price.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I haven't messed with the new ValveState amps... I do love the ValveState 4x12 cabinets, much better than the 1960s...don't know why, but I do.

I bought a used Ampeg VL502 head recently for $200. It's a 50 watt all tube two channel head designed by Lee Jackson. The Clean channel is very Fender like (same circuit) and can get raspy. The Mean channel is awesome...tons and tons of gain, a flexible EQ section with 5 position Mid voicing switch and three band EQ.

The power amp can run on either EL34s or 6550s with a bias switch to change instantly.

I haven't gigged with it yet, but it's as loud as any 50 watt tube guitar head that I've ever heard...

The guitarist I used to play with used a 160 watt Valvestate 2x12 combo which was pretty loud, he switched to his TSL 100 watt all tube 2x12 combo and a 2x12 extension cabinet or an outdoor gig and was loud enough to wake the dead...

6. My guitarist uses an AVT50 head, and honestly I can't imagine you not being loud enough...in my experience, the cabinet is oftentimes more decisive in an amp's overall volume. I have yet to hear any head through a 4x12 that couldn't get stinking loud. While I don't think his AVT sounds anything like a Mesa, it still sounds really good dirty (the clean isn't my thing, I like Fenders, but you wanted distortion). In my opinion hybrids are the way to go anyway, because they are so much easier to work with: you can generally get your tone to stay constant at both low and high volumes (unlike tube amps). It isn't too heavy, seems pretty tough (hauled it around a lot and haven't broken anything yet), and while I usually don't prefer Marshall (I know I'm odd), I can't fault this one at all. AVT50H: a killer overdrive with the versitility to be a lion or a lamb.

7. Fifty watts on a guitar head is plenty, especially if you're running it through a 4x12. When I was a kid I thought you needed a 100w head- because that's what all the rockstars had. I went through 2 or 3 100w Marshalls before I realized I wasn't getting the sound I wanted- then I tried a 50w and got closer to the sound I was looking for. Traded a few around and I've got the amp I always wanted. The only time 50w wasn't "enough" of what I wanted was when I was using a 2x12 and a 4x12. As often as you'd be doing that it's a non-issue.

8. Thank you alot for the responces. I think i might concider the 50. How would you compare the av 50 from the Mg100hdfx tone wise???

9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Yea, I guess the 50 watter should be enough. Maybe it will keep the guitarist from being totally overkill as we know alot of them like to be. :D

The MG series doesn't sound nearly as good as the AVTs IMO.

10. I second that. My other guitarist has the MG100DFX combo (head section is identical to the head model), and though it sounds pretty decent, it isn't nearly as good as the AVT (which isn't the best either but great, repeat great for the price). By comparison it seems a little "one dimensional" almost, the AVT has more of a cascading type tone. Simply put, the MG sounds like a solid state amp, but some people dig that...