1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

marshall guitar amp head with non marshall bass cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by garethcoleman, Jul 27, 2012.

1. garethcoleman

garethcoleman

Jul 4, 2012
    England
    Hi, I've heard that playing a bass through a guitar amp can damage it. I have a marshall mg15hfx mini stack and I am now playing bass in a band and don't want to damage my amp when we start doing gigs
    I was wondering if it would be possible to buy a bass cab for around 200 quid and use the head from my marshall with it. Would my head still get damaged? Would my marshall head be compatible with a bass cab that isn't a marshall? Any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot!

2. Brendan5

Brendan5

Jul 18, 2009
    Awe man I thought you were gonna be talking about a JMP or something. Take your 200 quid and buy a used bass combo. A 15w Marshall is gonna sound like distorted ass.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The amp will be just fine. It's guitar speakers that can't handle a ton of lowend, although with only 15 watts spread between 2 of them, you might not hurt them either.

Probably ( read definitely ) gonna need a bigger rig for playing gigs, unless you can mic up your mini stack and put it through the PA.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    If you are serious about playing bass you need an amplifier that is suitable for that purpose. A guitar trough a 15W amp and a single 12 can get as loud as hell. A bass through the same system will sound like crap. You should look for a 3-500w amp and a 4x10 or a pair of identical 2x10s. That should handle just about any gig.

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    +1

6. garethcoleman

garethcoleman

Jul 4, 2012
    England
    Thanks for all the feedback! I atually forgot that my amp was only 15 watts haha, looking at it it looks like it would have a lot more than that as it is big for a 15 watt. Im in a punk band, could you recomend a good amp for around 200-300 pounds? Thanks.

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

I use an insanely valuable 100W '70's Hiwatt guitar head for bass sometimes and it sounds killer. Of course, I am using a bass cab.

IMO anything less than a 70-80W guitar tube amp or a 300W guitar SS amp for bass is not nearly enough to gig with.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Don't know what prices are like over there but several members here do.

In general, spending it on a quality piece of used gear that's in good condition/been well taken care of, is going to do you better than spending the same amount of money on some budget model, bottom on the line piece of brand new gear.

Post what's available to you and somebody here will have owned, or at least played one before.

9. Faijex

Faijex

Jun 26, 2009
    Iowa and UK
    Used Hartke 3500 Combos are around 300 Pounds I think? I almost bought one of these, ended up with a Marshall MB4410 Combo for 330 pounds new, but I've heard mixed reviews on reliability, I haven't had any problems with mine, but make me nervous sometimes, sounds great I can tell you that much. Marshall are supposed to be reputable no?

10. garethcoleman

garethcoleman

Jul 4, 2012
    England
    I only plan to use the marshall head if that is what i decide to do until christmas time as ill get a propper bass head then, or atleast some money towards one. would the marshall head on a bass cab really sound like distorted ass? because thats not really the tone im going for :meh: would it atleast be better than using the marshall head with my guitar amp cabs. ive seen some 100-300 watt bass cabs for around 100-200 pounds, mostly peavey but some ashtons, ashdowns and others. so could someone honestly tell me if using my marshall head with a bass cab like that would really sound that terrible and if it would be a good idea to do that for just 5 months or less until i get a propper bass head. Thanks.