Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marshall Guitar Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass_drum, Mar 21, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Im thinking of taking a marshall guitar amp head, and using the distortion chanel to get a distorted guitar-like sound. Ofcourse I will hook it up with my bass amp so I dont blow the thing up :D . How well would this work?
    Im also considering getting a practice amp, and I was thinking since most of these things have a little speaker on 'em, could I bring the head around and just use it as a little practice amp/ practices with a guitarist or something, or would it blow up?

From the lows,
    ~JB~

2. Both are probaly a bad idea. You could get a distortion pedal a lot cheaper than a marshall head, and it would be a lot less to lug around, and you would probaly overpower the speake in the practice amp if you ran a more powerful head through it.

3. What kind of Marshal guitar head are you talking about? A 100W tube powered Marshall head costs around $1,000, for that much you could just get a bass head with built in overdrive like the GK 2001RB or Yorkville XS800H. If you're buying something used and cheap, just use whatever you have and get a big muff pedal or something.

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I understand your goal.... but the moethod you have planned, I've gotta say, is a risky and stupid idea.

Get yourself some pedal Effects. You seem like you'd enjoy a wide array of toys and sounds to play with... maybe the Digitech BP50 or BP200 floor processor would be good for you. Check out Digitech's website. It's really not that expensive, and can even give you different tones out of your rig if you dont have the capability to do so through your preamp.

If your strictly thinking of that guitar-like distortion, I'd recommend the Boss DS-1. It does me good when I'm looking for something to make a bass fill be loud and noticable. But then again... there is a DS-1 setting on the BP Processors. :)

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You aren't going to blow up a Marshall tube guitar head by playing bass through it. As long as you hook it up to some bass-worthy speakers, you should be fine. Tube amps are tube amps. You can put guitar, bass, keys, vocals, or anything really though a tube amp. A distorsion pedal or multi-fx box won't sound nearly as good as a good ol' tube Marshall (or any tube amp) driven hard, the way they're supposed to! Personally, i'd get a plexi head of some kind, just like Jack Bruce used to use. :bassist:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The newer JCM2000 stuff sounds nice, but is expensive, the footswitches are cheap, and just aren't like the older models.

6. Because the Plexi 100w Marshalls are a dime a dozen?

:p

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If they really cost that much, I'd own several right now :bawl:

8. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Just wondering why you guys think its so stupid :confused:

I'll be able to get nice distortion, have a little compact amp and besides Lemmy does this doesnt he?

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Get a small combo amp, like a used ashdown mag, or some other such thing and get a distortion pedal. Either way, it's cheaper.

10. What we're saying is that this is a dumb idea if you don't already own the Marshall head...the logic of spending $1000+ on what would be a glorified stomp box is sketchy at best. However, if you already own the head, it sounds like a cool idea and I think you should give it a shot.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If you already own a marshall head, you could run it with a 210 cabinet with no tweeter and it would sound quite cool. But to buy a marshall amp for just this purpose would be expensive, and kind of pointless. But if you have the money to do such things, go ahead.

12. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    You can get a marshall amp head for 400-500 bucks on musicians friend. Plus I could find it used and pay even less...w/e

So what pedals should I try to get a nice distorted guitar sound?

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Most of those cheap amps are solid state, or the valvestate amps, and they are not worth the money for this purpose. You could get a behringer kickback combo and a pedal for around 300.

14. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    if you have a guitarist friend borrow his, find two bass cabs hook both cabs up, buy an ABY box and use the blend to mix and match your signal. That's what Jason Newstead did at least.

It's an interesting idea but without testing it beforehand you might blow a ton of money for no good reason besides to test an idea.

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    A big muff pedal, or even a danelectro daddy-o overdrive would work very well.

16. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Big Muff with the tone around 1O'clock starts to get guitar thin so that might be a good start or an EHX English Muff'n which is a tube overdrive that might be what you are lookin for.

17. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    You must be talking about the MG head. I've heard it on guitar.... you might as well spend your money on a friggon CRATE head.

Again, I'd at least try something like the DS-1, BP50, or Big Muff before I dropped any money on something that I would get sick of. Plus, it'd be a one-trick pony. The BP50 has a friggon load of effects to be sampled.

18. Marshall IMHO is very overpriced gear for what it really is, the only thing they made worth buying is stuff like their old plexi heads, which are rare to find and expensive as heck. If you want distortion get a distortion pedal for 25-200 bucks depending on what you want, and then you have instead of 2000 or so dollars for a big heavy head that doesn't even have controls for how your distortion sounds. Most guitarists, even the ones that own brand new marshalls like you are talking about, use a distortion pedal themselves.

19. its not a bad idea at all. stanle clarke does the exact same thing when he needs a bit of grit, except i think he uses old fender tube guitar amps in adition to marshall ones

its been done before, bu then again stanley clarke hs the extra money to spend other than buying a simple pedal

20. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    When is someone going to chime in with "just get a SANSAMP BDDI, you will sound better, more tubey than tube, better than a thousand SVTs?"

Ah I guess I just did.

I feel better now. Just let me get the rest of the sarcasm out of my system...

Here's my rig, how I use my sansamp:

[​IMG]

Oh, wait, there isn't a sansamp in there after all. Because they sound like a sansamp, not tubes.

Seriously though, if you have the old Marshall, or the money, there's nothing like a cranked tube guitar head. Of course there are cheaper alternatives, like the Sunn heads, search for The Ox's thread with sound clips. I think what you're looking for might be something like the way I use mine:

Bass goes into bass amp, which has its own speakers.

"Tuner out" of bass amp goes into guitar amp input, where you'd plug the guitar in. Guitar amp has its own cabinet. You could also use some sort of splitter if your bass amp didn't have the tuner output feature. The tuner out on my bass amp is basically just a "pass through" sort of thing, not amplifying or altering the signal sent from the bass in any way. This gives me the wicked sound of the fire breathing Marshall with the low end of the bass rig. I'm using a '68 or so Ampeg 810 bass cabinet for the Marshall, sounds great for bass but crappy for guitar.

Most cheap solid state guitar heads don't work so well for distorted bass. But I will say the Crate G600 (or somesuch) I bought just for the head enclosure (My Marshall was smashed in shipping) sounded surprisingly good if you were careful with the knobs.