Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marshall Guv'nor GV-2 question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikgag, Feb 16, 2005.

1. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    I know it's a distortion pedal, but can it do the Big Muff/Proco Rat kinda fuzz thing also??

2. not really, I think thats a dirtier distortion kinda like the Boss Metalzone... not quite the same thing as the Big Muff...

3. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    Anyone else with experience with this pedal???

4. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I used the Boss version of this (it is a digital reproduction) in the Boss GT6B. I tried to find a nice distorted sound to use every once in a while to add som grit and "anger" if you will to the sound. I liked it! Give it a whirl before you buy. There is nothing worse than buying something you are not happy with!

5. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I've got the Guv'nor, I think it's amazing! You can get a really thick, full-on distortion out of it, or even just add some grind to your tone. It's got bass, mid and treble for the EQ section, unlike many other pedals, and it has a cool 'Deep' knob, which helps to give more tightness to your low-end, resulting in no low-end loss whatsoever. It's pretty quiet, very sturdy, looks cool and has an easy to use battery compartment, unlike the EHX pedals. Only $99 Cdn. And with a little bit of tweaking, you can acheive the Big Muff sound. It also has true bypass, so it's just a really great pedal. 9.5/10!

Graeme :bassist:

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I love it for guitar but Im still undecided about it on bass. I get mine in a week or so and Ill let you know.

7. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    I guess my main concern is if it'll do the "stoner rock fuzz" kinda thing. It's a toss up between this pedal and the Digitech Bass Driver

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I need to run it through its paces on bass some more, but I got it so I can get a good distortion on guitar and most of what I play when I pick up a guitar is stoner rock'ish in nature. It kicks for that.

Id get a Proco Rat for my bass if I was doing stoner though.

9. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    That'd be nice, but there's a guy selling the Guvnor locally for $40 and I'd probably only use it on 2, maybe 3 songs, so that's why I'm kinda leaning towards it.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You can probably find a Rat for about the same price on e-bay. Just consider a couple more bucks for shipping... or not. You might get lucky.

11. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm not sure about the stoner-rock thing, but the Guv'nor is all around a much better pedal than the DigiTech. I have used both. I found that the DigiTech's tone knob didn't do much, while the Marshall has a three-band EQ, to get a whole bunch of tones. And the DigiTech isn't true bypass.

Graeme

12. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida

I totally agree. I would steer clear of the Digitech and snatch up that Guv'nor. For forty bucks you can't go wrong. If you totally hate it, you could probably sell it for what you paid.

13. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    o.k.......now there's another guy locally who's got a PD-7 for $40 also........crap.

:confused:

14. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I didn't like that one either. Although, many people do. I'll do a pros and cons of both pedals:

Ibanez Phat-Hed

Pros:

Really cool locking knobs
    Inexpensive
    Built tough
    Can be used for distortion, overdrive, or clean boost
    Easy to use battery door

Cons:

Two band EQ cuts mids
    Sounds wooly, thin
    'Attack' switch is useless, and cuts volume
    Increases string noise when engaged
    Fairly noisy
    Not true bypass

Marshall Guv'nor II

Pros:

Built really strong
    Distortion is thick, with tons of texture
    'Deep' knobs really tightens your low-end
    Three band EQ means no mid cut
    Easy to use battery door
    True bypass
    Fairly quiet
    Inexpensive

Cons:

No locking knobs

All around, I still think the Guv'nor is the best bet, and it's only slightly more expensive. I hope this review helps! :)

Graeme :bassist: