1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Marshall Guv'nor: the new Vs the old

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by basslyon, Mar 6, 2008.

1. basslyon

basslyon

Jun 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Non fosters drinking alcoholic.
    36de_2. 3621_2.

Has anyone tried the newer model?? Everyone talks about the original (probably cos timmy c used it) but does the new one sound the same and just look like a toy??

2. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I've used them both but years apart. From what I remember the new version doesn't sound the same as the old one. But I don't remember it being a bad bass pedal.

3. I've owned the new one and I actually regret selling it.

It sounded good but I couldn't tell if you it sounded like the original since I've never used one.

I certainly wasn't able to get Tim's exact tone (I'm sure that's impossible) but if I had known about blend pedals at the time that might have helped.

I may pick one up again in the near future, as I've got a Barge Concepts VB-jr coming my way, and I've always wanted to try and nail Tim's sound on Roll Right.

Apparently the switches on that line of Marshall pedals is prone to dying but mine lasted the whole time I had it (2 years or so).

-Eric

4. basslyon

basslyon

Jun 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    thanks. The evil empire tone had a new distortion pedal and the biamping so that's gonna make life hard for you if you wanna nail that tone. many have died trying.

anyone else got an opinion to offer?

5. basslyon

basslyon

Jun 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Bugger it, i just bought the old one on the 'bay.

6. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    the danelectro daddy-o is suppose to be a copy or the old guv'nor.. i think its only a single resistor difference or somethin... someone correct me if im wrong.. my first dirt pedal was the daddy-o... built like a tank..and sounds cool... but i think there are lots that sound better IMO..

7. I've tried both, not side by side but around a month apart with the same bass and amp.

People seem to rave about the original one, but I like the newer better. That deep knob is really cool, it let me keep that low end and fullness that I thought the orignal took away from my tone.

8. At least one of the differences to the old from the new is the extra Deep EQ band which makes it really useful in the Bass area. It helps reduce the loss of bottom end when you switch on the distortion.

9. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Would you consider this more of a distortion than an overdrive?

10. Can someone post samples of the new Guv'nor with the deep control?

11. timmyc

timmyc

Nov 29, 2005
    UK
    I found the old one to loose too much bottom end for me

12. Bump.

Sorry.

:ninja:

13. headtrip762

headtrip762

Feb 13, 2008
    NEPA
    I owned a new one sold it off, now I want it again. For some reason, I think with the Sansamp VT and the GV-2 I could nail the Timmy C tone.

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Is mine the newer or older version?

pedal.

15. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    That's the newer version. The old one has a larger footprint, is black and has a different layout.

16. headtrip762

headtrip762

Feb 13, 2008
    NEPA
    I was wondering what the GV-2 sounded like with the VT. Would it be possible to get a few more clips? This is really making me want to get the GV-2 again.

17. sorry, but i sold the gvII, what i listed is what i took at the time.