1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Marshall Guv'nor vs. GK Diesel Dawg?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by arbitrary, Mar 29, 2006.

1. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm wondering if anybody as compared these two pedals. I believe they have the same knobbies dealies, so they appear to be equally useful. But I'm curious how their sound differs.

I have an original marshall guv'nor that I'm quite fond of, but either gas or wanting greatness has arisen curiosity in me.

Thanks again.

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I own a Deisel Dawg, and use it for my overdrive sound. I like the pedal, for sure.

GK's aiming for a more midrange-y kind of tone on the D.D. - even with the mids knob full CCW, and the Bass CW, it generally cuts the low-lows from your signal, and boosts upper and lower mids. The 'Edge' control is kind-of 'parametric' in it's action - sounds sort-of like a sweeping high-cut in its action, but the controls are somehow strangely interactive, it seems. Noise-wise, it's a very quiet pedal, even at high gains.

I've only had it for a few weeks, and I'm still working it 'perfectly' into my overall sound. I use an ODB-3 for the high-gain distortion/fuzz tone. Actually I use the D.D. in-series with the ODB - D.D. OD into ODB high-gain distortion. I really like the combination, but rarely use the high-gain distortion like that (lets see... right now I use it on The Time's Jungle Love, and Cameo's Word Up - sort-of where I'd picture a synth-bass). The Deisel Dawg, on the other hand, I use in many songs - wherever I want more of a mid-y, old-school, pushed tube amp kind of sound; I turn it off for punchy hi-fi or slap tone.

Can't speak for the Gov'nor.

Joe