Marshall Guvnor... who's using this pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Phyrexian, May 22, 2003.

1. Hi there,

I've been doin' multiple searches on the Guvnor, but there aren't many threads around.

I'm a bass-distortion addict. I own two pedals and I am still lookin' for other ones (I know I know it's an expensive hobby ;).)
    I'm now using an EBS MultiDrive and a DOD FX91 Bass Overdrive (just using it for some sort of cleanboost 'cause the distortion settings suck out too much low-end.)

Anyways, I really dig Audioslave's bass-tone and the overall sound of it.
    I read somewhere that Tim Commerford uses a Marshall Guvnor overdrive pedal.

> Now I'd like to know how good this pedal is?

> Who owns and likes one?

> I like the fact that it's got an EQ on it. What does it do to your tone?

> It's a guitar-pedal by design; doesn't it suck out too much low-end?

> Does anyone have or want to make soundsamples?

> How does it compare to an EBS MultiDrive?

thanks in advance,

2. I cant say any more than repeat what my mate said the other day when I asked him.
    "The Jackhammer and Guv'nor arent really worth it, even though they are cheap. They lack tone, get a bottlerocket..."
  3. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Whoa, wait a minute. The Guv'nor...the old one ( is fantastic for bass! I use mine in a stereo rig with the effect running on the highs. Gets a decent late '60's Entwistle tone. I highly recommend them, but only the older model.

4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    *bump* for more info. Good sound for bass? What in a stomp box overdrive/fuzz is better? Stuck between one of these and a proco Rat:cool: Thanx guys.
  5. KPO2000

Sep 5, 2001
    I have both. (I the Rat with my guitar.) They are comparable, but the old Guv'nor has more tonal flexibility and sounds better on bass imho.

Good Luck!
  6. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    hey KPO2000, where did you buy your Guv'nor? I've been looking for one of these pedals, and I have had zero luck finding one. Do you know any stores that sell the '80s model?
  7. KPO2000

Sep 5, 2001
    I think I got mine off ebay or from somebody at the Les Paul Forum. They turn up every so often.
    I just found one listed for $130 OBO...looks like it sold actually. That's about what they go for though. I'm actually thinking of getting a Marshall JMP1 rack mount to replace the pedal. Sale

Good luck!

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Hey KPO,

Does the rackmount Marshall distortion sound good/great/bad??? Does it keep all the low-end or filter it out?

9. I used to use one... it works pretty well if you like growlie metalic distortion, it really does a great job at replicating that JCM tone. But it has some problems with fuzzing out and lossing sustain at lower notes, great for leads though. There's also some problems with treble bleeding out when you set it to a lower volume on the newer models, but that can be fixed with a simple mod on an internal capacitor... you can even change the capacitor value to tailor the tone for bass more.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Hmmmm, I'm currently using a Carl Martin Heavy Drive & it works pretty good, very sensitive controls but it keeps all the lows, distorted as well.

I've also used a Guyatone Metal Monster that sounds good but has no low-end at all,might get it modded.

I've also been looking into a Voodoo pedal or a Deep Fryer. Carl Martin also has another dist/fuzz pedal that's supposed to be pretty serious in the gain/sound dept. The Dredge Tone Angler is another I'd like to try.

So many pedals, so little cash...