Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marshall/Hiwatt/Orange Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Dec 4, 2000.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Have anyone got experience with either of the following:
    Orange graphic or overdrive 120
    Hiwatt custom 100
    Marshall Superlead/superbass

The reason is I found an old superlead at my local dealer and really liked the sound (noel redding).
    Before I grab it I would like to know if the Hiwatt or Orange wold be better or louder.
    How do they compare to Ampeg v4b (old ones).

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There was a time in the 80s when these were the only things you would see in rehearsal rooms and at small semi-pro gigs and they were beaten up then! All the bass players I knew hated them then, so I don't see why there is a revival of these now - any modern gear is way better; like Eden, SWR, Hartke etc. :confused:

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well, that may be your poit of view. But I´vee tried both SWR and Hartke and they´re not able to produce the sound that I like. To me they sound sharp, cold and dead.
    My main head is an Ashdown but I´m looking for something more cool and vintage sounding to be used at some gigs.
    I´m talking about sounds produced by players like Noel Redding, Paul Simmonon and Jerker Odelholm.

4. The Hiwatt should work well as a bass amp. Peter Hook used to play through one when Joy Division was together. It should not break up as easily as a V4B. However, a Hiwatt in good condition will cost as much as a new bass amp ($800-1000 USD). The Orange would be a second. But if you like that Noel Redding sound, the Marshall might be right up your alley.

Personally, I'd love to have a Hiwatt.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well one person's "sharp cold and dead" is another person's : "clear, focused and punchy". And one person's "warm vintage tone" is another person's "muddy, distorted and woolly cardboard box"! ;)

My view is that Hiwatt, Orange and Marshall are the worst-sounding cabs/amps I've ever played though - Marshall probably being the worst, but Hiwatt the most common in the 70s/80s in the UK.

6. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    You may want to try out the newer Bass amps/cabinets from Marshall, like the Dynamic Bass 7200 or 7400 series.

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i absolutely agree with you bruce. everyone has a sound in his head. and i'd really like to afford an hiwatt or orange all tube head. i've head the chance to try an hiwatt custom 100w with my old rickenbacker and i had an incredible smile on my face! about orange i have seen only the 200w bass head played by other guys, with different basses than mine. i have had a really positive impression. to be honest i do not know much of the seventy by person, i'm too young, but i like those sounds and those are the kind of bass sounds i try to have. i'm happy with my ampeg svt 3 pro, but if only i could have a lot of money i'll buy hiwatt or orange or old svt rather than eden or swr or new ampeg. eden and swr amps are great, but in my opinion, as trace elliot, they are tto punchy and too powerful. and for the same reason by night i dream of an old precision or an old t-bird rather than warwick, warrior, sadowsky...
    nothing against them, obvously. ah, i use to dream about that girl who lives in front of me, but this is another story...

marco

8. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi Jock,
    I have a custom 120 valve sound city head (same as hiwatt) o.k. it's a P.A. amp but it sounds amazing with bass.
    It's for sale if you are interested!

9. I go for the old tube sound. Look at my profile. If that's the kind of thing you like, which I do, you can't go wrong with any of the heads in the first post.

Barroso, right on! I can't stand the modern crap that all the pleckety-pleck chinkety-chink guys play. As for all that modern high end stuff, A tweeter on a bass cab? You've got to be freaking kidding me, right? Don't those guys know they are playing BASS, not lead guitar. :D (I'm just kidding of course, I know people like different things.)

Paul A, how much for the Custom 120. Sounds cool.

Thanks,
    Chris

10. I played a Hiwatt Custom 400 that rocked...like an SVT's black sheep brother. There was a Plethora of tubes behind it. A guitar player that practiced in my music building bought it before I could get it, though. He used it for his guitar rig to power 4 marshall 412s. I always used to ask if he would sell it to me... bastard.

IMO, though, The old amps sound better with newer high power cabs. The old ones break up too much. Try an SVT with a pair of high powered 410 +horn cabs. That'll put a smiley on your face.

11. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for all you replies. I´d love to go with the SVT but then I won´t be able to aford to keep the Ashdown, and I´m not willing to part from it since it sounds good is reliable and dont have to be retubed. I´m looking for something in lower priceranges. I´ll wait and see what comes up in the musicstores of Stockholm (Sweden).

12. You should keep your eyes open for a Sound City then. They look and sound just like Hiwatts, and are built the same. Which means that they will most likely outlive you if properly maintained. Plus, they sell for much less than Hiwatts do. I think Harry Joyce may have actually been involved in the design.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Everything Bruce said, ditto. I had to play through a Fender Bassman 50 in the early days, and I've always hated that vintage sound, especially when it wasn't vintage. Ish.

14. I just got my new Eden WP100 & WT1000 setup, and it sounds great with lots of Bells & Whistles. On the other hand, I have a Bassman 135 that sounds KILLER!. It sounds like an Aguilar, but only 100 watts. I also have an Ampeg V4 head (not the V4B), and it is more of the vintage sound. Very warm, but somewhat mushy. The best setup is the Eden stereo Low to an 18" cab, High to a 2-10 cab, and run the Fender "mids only" into another 4-10 or 2-10 from the D.I. out of the Eden. You get the best of both worlds. The highs are crisp, Lows solid, and the mids warm., and you can blend them anyway you want