Marshall how come u never hear about them

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by warwickben, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Marshall how come i never hear any oen talking about there amps, are they any good.

or is it because they suck a big name for guiatre players we bass players dont want them.

can some one move this i messed up and posted it in the wroung place.
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I used my Girlfriend's Marshall bass amp while I was in between amps a couple of years ago. I can remember the model but it was a Tube/solid state Hybrid, all Gold and pretty loooking, 400W at 2 ohms.

It wasn't as bad as I though it was goung to be. I pulled a decent sound out of it with some pretty heavy tweaking. Then it went POP! There were no external fuse holders so I figured the problem was more sinister. So I took it to a repairer.

Turns out Marshall in their wisdom put the fuse INSIDE the amp. And it was positioned so that when it blew, it took out the surrounding components. It was a $100 Aus. repair job.

As I was handing over the money I asked "What should I do to prevent this happening again?'. The answer was "There is nothing you can do. Marshalls are notorious for this". Apparently their guitar amps have the same problem.

So I asked the obvious question "If they're notorious for it, how come thay sell all those amps?"

He just shrugged his shoulders and pulled a "Buggered if I know" face........
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I had a Marshall Major a long time ago and miss it a lot...

We usually hear about Marshalls here, but it is usually one of us complaining about the loud Marshall guitar amp sitting next to us on stage...

Next time I'm in Guitar Center or Sam Ash, I'll ask them why they don't stock the VBA400 (or whatever it's called).

Who knows, maybe GC makes more money selling SWRs and SVTs than they could selling a VBA so they don't want to bother...
  4. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    The Marshall Super Bass head is one of the classic all time amps and Chris Squire still uses his. Old school. It's their 80's stuff that doesn't have such a great reputation.
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I guess there is so much bass gear manufactured today that's equal to today's Marshalls, if not better, in terms of value & quality. And since bass players don't seem to carry the "Marshall disease" to the extent guitar players do, we seek and find gear we like better than Marshall's VBA line. Thus, no one buys Marshalls, so why should anyone carry them?
  6. Kruser

Aug 13, 2001
    Uh a thread about marshall my time has come... :p
    I have a marshall amp since I started playing bass, which is now 3 years ago. It was a used BassState150 (as you may guess 150watts). It was already some years old as I bought it, and until now all I had to repair were the input jacks!!! The sound is......pretty decent....but the only I do really know. It has ValveState technologie like some of the guitar amps. You can blend from Solid to Valve. I dont use this, cause every measure I turn the knob towards Valve the more does the sound suck.:rolleyes:
    What I like is the 7-band-eq, the limiter and the compressor it has on board. It has also additional bass and treble control and bass boost and bright boost. So you have quite a lot of possibilities to alter your sound. Somehow it will sound always like marshall........:spit:

To my mind does the ValveState thing not fit to a bass amp. Maybe its fine for the guitarists....dont know.

Did I say I am planning to buy a peavey NiroBass...........:meh:
  7. [3]

Aug 18, 2003
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have a marshall DBS 600W head..
    it has the whole valve/solid state blend, but i tend to use all valve, minimal eq, with the "deep" switch in..
    into it goes a USA Fender P-Bass.

Tone wise, the mashall is pretty good.
    even when i was using my crappy old yammy, people were complimenting my tone..

i like a warm, organic but slightly overdriven sound, and this amp does that well..
    it will NOT do the amazing slap tone that many bassist are looking for.. but then, for me, thats not an issue, because i dont play slap in the music i'm playing....

I've had no technical problems with this amp as yet, i've had it for over a year and half, and had no problems, (except the feet broke off the wooden rack case it came in, but that was probably my fault.. i'm not the kindest of people to my gear)..

BIG master volume control.. i mean BIG
    Valve PRE sounds very warm.
    Deep switch adds loads of guts
    DI-Out AND line out w/ independant vol control.
    Tuner out

onboard compressor is too simplistic for my liking. Pre- gain sets threshold and depth sets compression amount.

despite what some people might say about marshall bass stuff, i'd consider buying another marshall bass amp.....

except that my next upgrade to my rig will be a seperate pre and power-amp. so i'll probably get something better...

for what i paid for it($1750 AU), its extremely good.. ****s all over the G.K.+Hartke stuff in its range..
    um yeah..
    thats my marshall story..
    mind you, i play in a downtuned heavy melodic band(think Deftones/Tool etc.) and have to compete with a Marshall head and an Orange Cab...
    my current rig holds up fine, except for open air concerts.

8. In the late 70's, early 80's I used a Marshall 100 watt tube bass amp (can't recall the model, uh those where some parting years). It was a single tone head. The only knob that did anything was the volume; presence, bass, treb where pretty useless.

It had 2-4x15 cabs. What a stack! taller by far then the guitar player's only he had 3 of 'em.

I used the Marshall stack along with an SVT with 2 SVT cabs in stereo from a Ric. That's what I'm talkin about! 8x15s and 16x10s. Sound men never put me in the front of house mix.

I initially got the Marshall as a backup for the SVT.
    The Marshall was very reliable. Much more so then the SVT. I probably bought that amp 3-4 times replacing the tubes everytime that thing blew.