1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marshall JCM 800 Bass Cab V.S. Ampeg SVT-810e Classic.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr.Sharkfist, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Mr.Sharkfist

Mr.Sharkfist

Nov 8, 2015
    Hi everyone, in 4-5 days i'm buying a Marshall 1992Lem bass head for $1,350. I'm so lucky to have such a great price but it gets better... I think? The guy i'm buying it from says he'll throw in a Marshall JCM 800 Bass Series 4x12 bass cab for an extra $300. After just barely being able to scrape together the $1,350 I wouldn't be able to conjure up another $300 without selling some gear. The gear I need to sell to get the money includes my current bass cab (Ampeg 810e Classic). Would it be worth it to sell my Ampeg 8x10 to get the Marshall cab? I've always loved the sound of 12 inch speakers with bass and my search results don't find much about the JCM 800 Bass Cab. I think the Lemmy head would be a great match to the Marshall cab. What should I do?

2. No. If it were I... I'd keep the Ampeg 810. A mate's Marshall Super Bass -100w all tube amp - sounds glorious thru his SVT810,
    ..and sounded the same glorious thru my old SVT810E when I had mine.
    As tall as it is, is far easier to move about -due to the tilt back bar n wheels - than the 'square' 412 too.
    I wouldn't make that switch if ya paid me. .. well it'd depend on how much I s'pose. .but ya catch my drift

bobyoung53, Stumbo and Mr.Sharkfist like this.
  3. Mr.Sharkfist

Mr.Sharkfist

Nov 8, 2015
    Thanks for the reply, you do make a good point concerning how much easier it would be to move the 8x10 cabinet.

4. Those 412's barely fit thru most pub/club doorways let alone up a narrow flight or two of stairs. Not that an 810 is easy up stairs, but with someone on the other end. ..makes a difficult task easy.
    Plus. ..another plus. ..the 810 gets that lovely 100w Marshall tube tone up nearer yr ears too. The 412 shoots the sound past your hips. ..at best. Unless you stack it on sumthin. ..
    Good luck. Post a pic or 2 of yr amp when ya get it too. :thumbsup:

eff-clef likes this.
  5. Mr.Sharkfist

Mr.Sharkfist

Nov 8, 2015
    I'll be sure to post pictures, also thanks for the advice!

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Keep the 8x10. Massive tube tone with the Marshall.

7. Mr.Sharkfist

Mr.Sharkfist

Nov 8, 2015
    The SVT seems to be the popular choice, I'm leaning towards keeping it.

rodl2005 likes this.
  8. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Voice of dissent here.

I vote Marshall for the following reasons:

1) An 810 is an 810, they all sound pretty much the same and you can find approximately 500 used ones for $500 or less on any city's craigslist every day of the week. Marshall bass cabinets are decidedly rarer, and the JCM800 line is basically the best gear the company ever made after 1969. $300 is a steal.

2) I use a VBC412 (a contemporary of the Lemmy signature head you're looking at) and it simply slays every 810 I've ever used in terms of midrange punch, clarity, and sheer growling savagery.

3) Lemmy would have wanted you to use a 412 (and a 415, but that's another matter)

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Hey, If you don't like the 8x10, buy the 4x12.

Mr.Sharkfist likes this.
  10. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Mr. Sharkfist :)

1) Nothing beats "the fridge" :bassist:

2) Nothing compares to a Marshall cab :D when played with a Marshall amp

3) I don't have the 300$ either :crying:

money sucks!!!

If you possibly can, get the Marshall 412 and keep the fridge (get a cheaper car, sell the crownjewels or whatever it takes :D)

good luck :thumbsup:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Mr.Sharkfist and rodl2005 like this.
  11. Super Bass

Super Bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    The JCM 800 412 is pure midrange punch. I prefer my 1992LEM through my 412s over my Ampeg 810e though the 810 does sound great. $1350 is a great deal, got any pictures? Marshall has only made around 250 of the 1992LEM signature heads...

Attached Files:

LeftyD, StraffordMike and rodl2005 like this.
  12. OMG ... you will need a crane to move those monsters, including the head ... mamma mia!

Mr.Sharkfist likes this.
  13. The head ain't real heavy. .about the same as the V4B Ampeg iirc.

14. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    I vote 412. Partially because I am addicted to buying and selling gear, just to be able to try it would be awesome, and if you like it, keep it, if you dont then sell it, it is a rare beast so you could recoup the money to buy another 810 if you decide to.

Mr.Sharkfist, rodl2005 and morgan138 like this.
  15. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    I haven't played a Marshall bass 4x12 and would be a little skeptical based on the so-so build quality of (some of?) their guitar cabinets...

But I'd probably go with that because like people have posted, it's a less common cab than the 8x10. If you don't like it, you shouldn't have any trouble flipping it for another fridge!

bass40hz likes this.
  16. Get the Marshall, the head will look funny hanging over the edges of the 810.
    Fishheadjoe

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  17. JKB1957

JKB1957

Jul 18, 2015
    Ampeg 8 X 10 = 80 inches of speaker; Marshall 4 X 12 = 48 inches of speaker. From a math standpoint the Ampeg will move more air and thus be louder. Subjectively, depends on which sounds best to your ears. Visually, a Marshall head on a Marshall half stack, well, it just looks cool. And I am a big fan of Ampeg. Keep the groove.

18. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    You are kidding, right?

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  19. Jaycephas

Jaycephas Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Waxhaw, NC
    Ampeg will move more air!

Math should be: 8 x 10 = 632 sq in., 4 x 12 = 452 sq in.

20. DD Gunz

DD Gunz

Jun 18, 2015
    California
    If it was me I would keep the 810E. That being said it is my favorite cab of all time so take it for what it's worth.

bobyoung53 likes this.