Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marshall JCM 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Aug 18, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'd like to know if there are users of this old Marshall all tube head. i need technical info such as ohm, number of outputs of this head and i really enjoy your opinion too. i play rock music and i find the sound of this head really classic and good for the music i play. i found one and i'm interested in buying.
    thanks

2. DDEVIL

DDEVIL Guest

Aug 7, 2001
    Isnt that a guitar head??? :confused:

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    there was the bass version too...;)

4. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Barroso,
    I had a JCM 800 Bass head a while back. It was the 100 watt version. I must say that if you want KILLER tone, this is THE amp! That said, as you probably know it's pretty dirty sounding. The biggest problem is that when you drive it hard the transformers saturate before the tubes run out of steam. The resulting sound is KILLER but you lose a lot of punch and attack. I found that in the context of the band I couldn't hear it. It would be amazing as part of a dual amp rig though. Good luck.

5. I say go for it. I've got an old Superbass I've been meaning to rebuild and use (fried power tranny when I bought it cheap). I think the heads have an option of 8 or 16 ohms. I think it has 2 output jacks. You'll probably want a huge cabinet like they used in the old days, maybe even 2 - 4x12's? That would be the classic 70's bass sound for like Black Sabbath and such.

Go for it if the price is right. Don't follow the herd and shy away from something different than an Eden or whatever these modern freaks play (tweeters, in a bass amp? give me a break). :D Go for the sound nobody's heard in about 30 years. That IS the sound to get.

Chris

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    hey guys!! it seems that we have similar idea on how a bass has to sound. i'm not a lover of modern hi fi sound and i give my appreciation to the old rock'n roll sound. passive bass into a loud all tube amp. for me at the moment there's no other way! actually i have an old all tube head made in italy in the '60 by EKO. and an old ampeg cab 1x15 and x10. i'd love to add that mashall head (the one i found is listed for 400 us $ here in italy) and a marshall 4x12 cab.
    throbbunit, i have seen your profile and read about your tube amps, i'm so curious, can you tell me more? which amps and cab do you have and use?
    rock on
    marco

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The way GIBSONGEEK describes it, this amp would be a living nightmare for me. I don't get it ... he's saying something like "this amp's tone REALLY, REALLY blows, man, it's great! Go for it! Don't buy something with great tone, like Eden." I'm going to go puke now, thank you. :)

8. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Munji,
    Great tone is in the ear of the beholder! I NEVER said the tone blows. On the contrary! I think it was THE BEST sounding amp I've ever owned, it just doesn't have lots of headroom. That's not bad, I was just stating a fact. I personally LIKE dirt!
    My vintage rigs are;
    1. Hiwatt DR-201 Custom 200 w/SE4122 4x12 BASS cab(Fanes!)
    2. '71 SVT w/matching cab
    3. '72 Acoustic 360 head and cab
    These rigs are STILL in use, although due to size have been partially retired in favor of my SVT head w/BERGANTINO 3x10 or 2x12.
    Personally the EDEN stuff is too clinical and stiff for my tastes. 20 years with an SVT can spoil you!!!!!!

9. You wouldn't be interested in selling this, would you? ;)

10. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Matthew West,
    It just so happens I recently sold my OTHER one! It was a Custom 200 w/ 6 EL-34's. I've kept the 4 KT-88 one and don't think I'm gonna sell it any time soon. If I decide to sell it I will contact you though! In the meantime, if you find one for under 2000.00 BUY IT! Good luck!

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh, don't take it personally GIB ... I may be OTR, but my first amp was a Fender Bassman 50 (a 1965 model in 1977). It was dirty. For me, dirty = really, really blows. ISH. I knew I wanted hi-fi before hi-fi even existed.

12. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    COOL!

13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    no one else?

who uses a JCM 800? which kind of music do you plaY?

14. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Some old timers like Noel Redding occasionally used Marshall guitar heads for their stage rig. But it was usually four or six heads with the inputs jumped to make it like a giant SVT head. I don't think one would work so well unless you are into distortion. :eyebrow: