1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Marshall JCM800 Bass Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Regularjonesy, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Regularjonesy

Regularjonesy

Apr 2, 2012
    What's every body's views on the Marshall JCM800 Bass head? Are they worth buying or am I wasting my time?

Jonesy.

2. If its the sound you like its great.

Not gonna be clean or loud enough for me though.

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i love jcm 800's on guitar, and IMO they're pretty cool on bass, but they're very mid heavy in tone. so if that's what you're looking for, then i think you'd like it, but i wouldn't expect alot of low end or headroom.

4. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

My vote would be "waste of time".

If you want a raucous, tube-aliscious head that can still throw down some real bottom end, check out an Ampeg V-4B.

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    +1, or if you want british, a hiwatt 100 or 200.

Jools4001 likes this.
  6. carbonfold

carbonfold Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    Is it the 50w or 100w version? If 50w, I would say pass. If 100w, I would say go for it.

They have decent transformers and are tweakable. But keep in mind that the 100w tube world isn't the same as the 300w tube world.

Is it enough power? Depends on the subjective opinion of the musician playing on it or a TB member's opinion you asking of. If you ask me, I say yes depending on the cab(s) you put under it.

If the price is right and it is the 100w version, I would go for it. I play on a Sovtek Bassov 100w and it sounds great. Just make sure you have a nice cab to put under it.

7. Ffreddy

Ffreddy

Feb 14, 2011
    Sorry to bring this old thread back, but I needed to chime in that I toured with a jcm800 superbass for awhile and with the right cabinets, it held its own against a cranked JMP full stack. 100W rating is VERY humble on these amps. Mine had 4x6550's and was just as loud as the mesa buster it replaced. Lent the amp to a friend who fried the OT. Once I replaced it, the amp never sounded the same so I sold it, heartbroken.