Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marshall JMC 800: 100W Bass head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Got my eye on one of these at the right ££.

Anyone any thoughts, observations, experiences with these amps?

Thanks.

John

2. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    I used to use 2 JCM 800 Super Bass heads with 4 1960B cabs. 16 twelves with 200 watts of Marshall was great, but as Psycho said, be ready for lots of "hair". I stopped using the rig because I could not get loud enough unless I used the whole rig. That became WAY too much stuff to gig 2x a week!
    I did keep 1 of the heads, and now have a 2x15 and a 4x12 JCM 800 cabinets. They sound great at home, but I don't gig them anymore.
    GEEK

3. OK thanks.

Hmmmmm.

Well, I play in a band that doesn't really want loads of watts....pubs and stuff is the usual gig.

Fancied a Marshall, though. This one's mint and I could get it for £175 / £200.

I doubt at present I run anywhere near 100 Watts RMS. ( I'm a techie, and have fixed up a vintage Laney Supergroup 50. That runs a dummy load into a solid state, and into a 1 x 15).....Just facnied a Marshall.

I'll give it further thought.

:D

Cheers.

John

4. Dude, go ahead and get it. :D

I'm a firm believer in 100 Watts for max sane volume level. That gets pretty loud, if you're into that kind of sound, which I am.

If I'm not loud enough with 100 tube watts and a really big cabinet, I pretty much don't wanna be playing in that situation. I mean dangnation, save your ears people!

I'd go for the Marshall.

Chris

5. Isn't that a lead guitar head?

I bought my daughter a JCM-800, 50w head and the 4x12 bottom stack for her SG Standard. Jeezus... it is one guitar amp.

6. They made a bass model as well, a 100 watt head using 4 KT88's that has a sweepable midrange control, VERY similiar to the output section of a Major.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I take it you're a guitar player. We're talking about bass amplification here. Minimum 600 watts. Get with the program.

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i have 1250 watts and i'm just barely loud enough at times.... :eek:

9. Man, I guess my playing must just be much better because I can hear myself just fine at loud rock volume levels with just over 300 tube watts. ;)

10. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    you missed a zero there my friend :)

11. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

You know it ain't so.

Like Psycho, The Mesa 400+ is WAY, WAY louder than my Eden 1000 watt amp!

And my band is loud! I wear musician's earplugs, and my ears still ring like crazy after.

12. Loads o' watts?

Not for me. We're playing pubs and stuff: perhaps really small venues compared with some of you guys.

It's horses for courses.

We're a small outfit. I just don't need big amps.

Anyway, I phoned the dealer last night. The Marahall's been sold. :mad:

John

13. Jane you ignorant slut. Them's fightin' words, biyatch.

Yeah, I'm a guitar player who loves to hang around on Talkbass and talk about bass amps. :rolleyes:

They ought to have a Profile type thing around here to prevent this type of confusion. Oh, that's right, they do. I guess some folks can't use it......

As for 100 TUBE Watts being plenty for bass - Yes, it is. 100 Tube Watts on bass and about 30 Watts on guitar, natural drums, perfect mix, no bleeding eardrums. Ever tried it? I didn't think so.

To each his own, my friend. What? You didn't hear me? Must have had your hearing aids turned off old man. I'll shout next time. I wish I could abuse my ears with no regard for the future, but I won't. Sorry.

I've ignored your ignorant posts for a while now - spouting idiotic "minimum requirements", how your amp is the best in the world and that no other is worth a pint of peepee and such. Freaking ridiculous.

"Oh Munji is the bestest and smartest man in the world! He's so dreamy, I wish I could be JUST like him!" That's what we're all saying, I'm sure.

Do you even play music? Or just turn your sterile amp up real loud down in the basement of your mom's house? Ever heard yourself? Ever heard any of the rest of a band? I didn't think so.

Get with the program indeed.

Call me back when you figure out what good tone means and you realize that the audience actually likes sane volume levels and good sound.

You probably use a tweeter to play bass, too, don't you?

Chris:rolleyes:

14. See above post directed at Mun-Chichi for details.

The sarcasm and venom aren't directed at you, of course, because you didn't feel the need to make a smart a** comment in your post. :D

100 Tube Watts and even 50 Tube Watts is great for jamming with sane guitarists and drummers.

Save your ears, people.

Chris

15. I've been playing bass in live rock bands since 1969. I just this year got an amp head that will output 600+. It's nice to know that I'm finally with the program....:rolleyes:

16. thank you, that really needed to be said.

I played for 3 years with a single 112 and 300w (SS). The master was at like 1.5-2.5, 3.5 for LOUD gigs. It was great to have stage volumes to which you could speak to the other band members. BTW, the guitarist used a blues jr (like 20 or 30w).

17. To throbbinnut:

addendum 1: I use a tweet :)

addendum 2: I am a devoted Vonnegut fan, and a mild Tom Robbins fan. Great signature!

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    There is a god, and he's on your side.

19. Mey Munji, too bad for you this is Hell and we're going to give you the guided tour. What are you compensating for with such astronmically rated rigs anyway? 'Fraid you won't be able to flip the tweeter?

20. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    My, my. Grumpy, aren't we? I can tell the hook is set, and all that's left is to reel 'im on in! What you see in here and what actually is are not necessarily the same thing.

Somebody wise him up for me. I've got a cold.

PS ...My mother's been dead for over 30 years.