1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marshall jmp 1986 - Loud enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sletnern, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Sletnern

Sletnern

Jan 10, 2012
    Hi. Does anyone know if a marshall jmp 1986(50 watts) is loud enough for a 3-piece hard rock/blues band. Venues are practice and small clubs.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you crank it into distortion, and use a big or very efficient cab, then yes. If you want clean sound, and/or have a small or inefficient cab, then no.

3. Sletnern

Sletnern

Jan 10, 2012
    Thanks for the quick response...

I would def. want distortion, but not Lemmy-style distortion. What I'm thinking is Leo Lyons style sound(ten years after). What kind of cab are we talking. Like 8x10 or 4x12, or would a 4x10 also work. And what brands of cabs are good?

4. Sinomis666

Sinomis666

Apr 16, 2011
    Yeah any of those cabs would sound good also a 2 15 cab would be good too!

5. Sletnern

Sletnern

Jan 10, 2012
    This is a great forum, thanks for the help. But if I would like to get more power. Is it possible to send the signal from the amp into a poweramp of some sorts? This might be a stupid question, and I really don't know how to formulate it, hehe.

6. Sinomis666

Sinomis666

Apr 16, 2011
    Yeah but you'll lose the valve goodness..

7. Sletnern

Sletnern

Jan 10, 2012
    Ok... Then I won't do that. But will I lose the bottom end if I crank the JMP to max?

8. Plenty loud enough... for a guitarist:bag:

9. Sletnern

Sletnern

Jan 10, 2012
    Ok... but I'm using it as a bass amp.

10. you can run it into a dummy load then into a power if you want more power. These amps are great and voiced for alot of midrange so you should cut through pretty good

11. I ran a 100w super bass Marshall in a pub rock band, loud drummer. It was only just loud enough. Of course with FOH PA support-fine.
    I suppose a 50w might just do it. Depends on your band's overall volume
    I ran mine into a Berg NV610. Which is a pretty efficient cab too.

12. Sletnern

Sletnern

Jan 10, 2012
    Ok... Thanks for all the help everybody! I think it is settled, I will NOT buy the JMP. I will go for a Carlsbro TC-100(from 1975). Does anyone have any opinions on that?

13. Sletnern

Sletnern

Jan 10, 2012
    Ok... but how 'bout a Carlsbro TC-100??? Good and loud?

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You can do that using a dummy load as mentioned (bunch of resistors) but you may as well run it to another speaker. Point is, the tube amp must be hooked up to something. Playing it with no load will destroy it.

15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
  16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    2 threads, 1 topic.

17. Sletnern

Sletnern

Jan 10, 2012
    Yeah, sorry about that. Had some trouble with the computer, thought I hadn't posted the other thread...

18. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Some times, I find, fingers have a mind of their own! :D

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    For a minute there, I thought my post in this thread didn't go through....turns out I had opened the other thread.:p