1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Marshall MB Series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flintlock, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    I really like the look of the Marshall MB4210, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with them?

Its a 300w at 8ohms, 450w at 4ohms combo, available in 210, 115 and 410 options. Comes with a single valve in the preamp ("the token tube") and has 2 channels.

I'm almost getting ready to pull the trigger, but no-one seems to have an opinion on it (because its new?). Can anyone persuade me not to buy it in the next few hours?

If no-one else has got one I'll get it and do a review or something :D

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Get it, then tell us what you think about it.

3. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    they do loo pretty nice. did you check out the "bass-state" series too?

4. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    I have now!

Unfortunately I need a bit more watts then that, and I prefer lots of smaller speakers over 12s and 15s. However! I do know Chris Wolstenholme runs a bi-amp, with one full Marshall Bass stack, and a B150 for all of his distortion. He says it 'distorts nicely'. Thats a pretty high recommendation I feel.

5. JebSmells

JebSmells

Jul 23, 2007
    UK
    I bought one of thesmaller MB30's

Was quite impressed with the sound from that considering the price and the name (marshall bass? must be a typo...)

Try one out

6. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    It has arrived!!!

I shall write a more complete review in the future, however to summarise, the SS pre-amp is flexible and provides some nice sounds, although the compressor just seems to blink at me in futility :confused: The valve pre-amp has OODLES of bass. In fact, that's pretty much all it has, which is a downside somewhat. Luckily the blend function comes into play and works pretty well. Would probably work very well in a band situation, although I haven't been able to try it with any other instruments yet.

7. lookin forward to hearing a full review. I liked the VBA400/4x12" I tried. very much!!!!

8. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Im another UK Marshall MB4210 enthusiast! Im thinking of getting the same amp too! BUt just a few things i want to clear up first... =/

How many estimated watts is the amp running with just the 2 internal speakers? Is it around 200 watts or 300 watts? I read the specs. and it said 300 watts at 4 ohms and a further 450 watts with an external speaker at 2 ohms.

So do i need to buy an external 4 ohms speaker (eg: Marshall's 150 cab which is 300 watts at 4 ohm) if i add this, don't i get the full power of the amp already? Or do i need to add ANOTHER 4 ohm cab to make it 450 watts at 2 ohms?

Im just really confused and scratching my head at the moment lol, planning to buy this amp this Friday if all goes well with this thread :)

Hows the amp going Flintlock?

9. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    The dreaded Ohms strikes again ;)

Basically there is one cab in the combo, a 210 rated 300w (or thereabouts) at 4 ohms. By connecting another 4ohm cabinet the ohms halves to 2ohms, which allows the head to unleash all 450w of power. So basically Combo + 1 Cabinet = 2 ohms + 450w. Marshall seem to like cabinets with low ohms.

However, the combo is LOUD. It can easily cope with a drummer and guitarist without the volume turned up to ridiculous levels. I'm using a Warwick Corvette Bubinga, and there is buckets of low end, and without careful EQ-ing it sounds very muddy. However, once you twiddle the knobs just right it gives a great tone, albeit a very similar one. The valve preamp has no mid dial, and you can hear it, there is a definate scoop there that needs to be dealt with. The voice section doesn't seem all that effective and only slightly changes the sound. The solid state pre-amp is a lot more varied, and can be used to get a much wider range of sounds, but it doesn't sound as good. What I do is cut the bass and treble on the solid state pre-amp, then blend the two together to form a much nicer tone then the two put together, with the valve handling the bass and treble (which sound excellent) while the solid state preamp does the mids.

As you can tell I've had to do one hell of a lot of fiddling with this amp, which might be a bit dissappointing when you get it out of the box and plug it in. It is not a plug-and-play amp, that you'll love immediately, but then, it also isn't an expensive amp.

One last thing, it works incredibly well with a band. Admittedly I'm not playing in a death metal band, but beautifully cuts through, while not being intrusive or having to turn the volume right up.

Oh yes, and soundslive are selling it for under £300. 450w with 210 cabinet is unheard of in this country, plus they delivered it in under 24 hours! I'd recomend them any day of the week.

Theunknownknows likes this.
  10. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Cheers for the quick reply!

Ah that's good to hear when you get it out of the box, there's already 300 watts of internal power already, i was wondering if this is the case or if you need to plug a cab in to get it to 300 watts and then another cab to get it to 450 watts lol! But thanks for clearing it up for me that i only need one more cab :)

Ah! It's a shame you have to do alot of tweaking and it sounds some what confusing too, arghhh! hmmm im only extremely interested in this marshall because of it's price, it's power and i played a marshall half stack 2 weeks ago and the marshall tone sounded superb! Any chance you can post some clips? That would be a bonus if you can :smug:

Happy rocking out with this amp man! :bassist:

11. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    Oh don't get me wrong the tone is great! If you buy it you wont be dissappointed. EQing is as complicated as you want to it to be, and I'm a compulsive fiddler. Also remember acoustics of my room (which is bare walls and laminate flooring) probably do more for the bass response then the amp itself. I'll try and get some sound clips up for you, but in the meantime the best approximation I can get is very Chris Wolstenholme (Muse) when he plays clean. This is probably because he plays with Marshall amplifiers (albeit much more expensive ones), very deep and boomy, although with a bit more treble.

12. Uncle Moe

Uncle Moe

Nov 15, 2013
    Maryland
    I just picked up a MB410 from CR..... Loads of bottom end.....I have it running with a Ampeg B-2 in a stack... Real happy with the setup....