1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marshall mb450h

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pghjeeper, Jan 12, 2012.

1. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    I plan to get a new head to replace my vintage g/k rb400 I was planning to go mark bass little mark III when I saw the new Marshall head. I know Marshall isnt the name it used to be but I liked the features it has with the classic and modern channel plus a headphone jack for late nights. Has di, effects loops, etc and plenty of power.
    My questions does anyone own one and how are they in the real world?

2. I had the combo version, the MB4410.

Very good for the price, very good head and also the cab. I sold it just because it was way too heavy (52 Kg, some 115 pounds!). Also very good for a lot more price than I paid for it (480€ brand new!). The new owner is happy gigging with it.

Pros:
    -Sound (remember, when combined with the cab section inside the combo!).
    -Flexibility (13 rotary knobs?). This flexibility is easy to use.
    -The 3 channels. Footswitch.
    -Tube pre-amp in classic.
    -A lot of power.
    -Low noise.
    -I was overall very happy, a serious amp a bit more expensive than a toy amp.

Cons:
    -In my case, weight (remember, combo version).
    -Compressor in modern channel is not good (too fast attack, you hear a noise when it starts working). Don't have high expectations on it.
    -Max power, 450W is @ 2 ohms load, 300W @ 4 ohms. It was very loud on the 4x10 combo, but I don't know how efficient these speakers were (no way to find this info on the net).
    -Quality Control: Mine came with tweeter disconnected (both wires!). Very easy to fix, but I saw reports of other users with bigger problems related to poor QC. Mine was free of them with the exception of the connection (fixed in 5 minutes, I did not use the warranty). But it was obious the amp was not properly tested after fully assembled. I'd definitely recommend to buy it... but with a good trial period or warranty policy just in case.

-Modern channel does not have a gain control, an extremely hot active bass could saturate input stage if you bosst lows (I happened to have such a bass, a Peavey Cirrus). Even when you use the head in "active" as supposed. I guess this will not happen with most basees. In case it happens just lower your bass volume a bit. Not a serious issue, not a reason to consider a different head.

3. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    I have the head version and run it at 2 ohm-full power and it is big loud.
    great beefy tone and no issues apart from changing the valve cause it got a crack in the glass.Easy to change and no problems since.
    Overlooked in my opinion.
    A couple of decent cabs and away you go.
    Hope this helps.