Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

marshall or warwick

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pinkfloyd, Jun 26, 2001.

1. who makes better bass amps marshall or warwick. no specific models just won't to know which one is better made.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IMO, Warwick is light years ahead of Marshall in terms of technology.

I recently read about a Warwick amp where they actually build an entire, small, tube amp inside the head, to get the true tube characteristics, then they use SS technology for the real juice, since SS can supply so much wattage with less effort/heat deterioration and without the maintenance of tubes. (None of that single tube in the preamp stage stuff).

Construction-wise, the Warwicks I've seen were built like bunkers. I don't have the expertise to vouch for the electronics, (SMT? cast frame speakers? et al). All you have to do is get past that big "W" on the grill that makes it look like you're a bassist for the University of Wisconsin.

Not that Marshalls are bad, but I think their efforts have really been devoted to remaining a big dog in guitar amplification.

3. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I had a Marshall 400w rack mount amp that lasted me 10 years. I bought it used. I had to use it as strictly a power amp with a tube pre amp as the sound was quite thin. But a very reliable amp.

Mike

4. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    hi!

Do you ever tried warwick? i got one about a year now and i just can't live without it. It's the Qaud VI (600 w, 4 ohm) in 2 space rack. i also have tried other products of warwick and marshall products, and i think that if you want a combo for smal gigs, the marshall should take it, but if you want a product for big gigs or flexible options you should choss warwick. And yes they look like tanks and that valve sound it's amazing.

5. I got a ampeg ba-115 and thats fine for small stuff and practice but I my band is getting more serious so I need more power I was looking at a 400 watt marshall or a warwick pro fett II. I think I'm gunna go with the warwick , becasue of what mikemulcahy said about the marshalls sounding thin.