Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marshall SS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tenchu, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Does anyone here know anything about a 200 watt Marshall solid state head? I read an ad for one, called and asked what model it is, but the guy didn't know. He said the head doesn't say anything except 200w. The only model I found that could fit the description is the JCM 800, but is there any other possibility? I'm checking the amp tomorrow, but I'd like a bit information beforehand.

2. And has the JCM 800 got a valve preamp?

3. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Could be this one - Marshall Dynamic Bass System head, 7200 series. http://www.marshallamps.com/images/archive/dbs.html

It has blendable ss/valve preamp and solid state end.
    I used to have this amp in 4x10 combo version (in fact still have, just use Eden now). Great warm tube sound, clean power (they claim ability of 2000w peaks). Never dialed volume more than 2 o'clock. Good luck.

4. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    I think I owned the very head your looking at. I bought one new in 85 with the JCM800 series cabs, 2-2x15's. I can not remember the head model # either. The rig was damn loud! If the head is in good condition and for little $, get it. It's no Ampeg but sounded good at high volume and was pretty versatile. I'm a fan of solid state and still play two SS amps. The Marshall would not be my first choice but it's a good, dependable air tosser.......