Marshall Studio Series SC20H and SV20H heads are great for recording!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by torinodeathride, May 31, 2022.

1. torinodeathride

torinodeathride

Dec 1, 2020
    I was surprised testing these two mini JCM 800 and Plexi 20 watt heads for bass over a few weekends at my friend's recording studio. I plugged both heads into a nice 4x10 bass cab and wow they sound incredible! This is definitely for aggressive rock and heavy music. Think a nicely overdriven classic Orange or SVT with Marshall roar and you get the idea. I had amazing Motorhead, Converge, Don Caballero, and Jesus Lizard tones in minutes. This is not a clean tone, but these amps are clear and articulate. I am excited to A/B these Marshalls with my Verellen MeatSmoke and my live 4x12 cab when my band records in the fall.

2. JFlo

JFlo Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2019
    I love Marshalls for recording. The last recording I did was with a JMP style preamp into a solid state power amp into an SVT style 2x10.

torinodeathride likes this.
  3. torinodeathride

torinodeathride

Dec 1, 2020
    I might be old fashioned but power tube break up and headroom just sounds great as is. But I always say go with what sounds best. The mics or what goes into the board don't care how you make it sound good. But I am a strange bird that always plays overdriven, so all tube is kind of the only game in town as far as I know.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've recorded with a Soldano SLO100 into a variety of cabinets on past projects. It's a remarkable amp for clean tones. I didn't totally care for the distorted tones on bass, whereas for guitar its legendary status is well-known. Guitar amps into bass cabs are great for recording bass.

5. torinodeathride

torinodeathride

Dec 1, 2020
    Maybe it's about what mics pick up? Guitar amp tone, eq, compression work better perhaps? Not sure, but I've sometimes struggled recording SVT. Meaning translating the sound into a good recording. In a few months I'll record my Verellen Meatsmoke and I am super excited to A/B that with the Marshall tone. Hell maybe I'll mic both and blend them.

6. torinodeathride

torinodeathride

Dec 1, 2020
    What was that JMP preamp?

7. JFlo

JFlo Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2019
    It's a Frenzel Rocker 800Z tube preamp. They make a few different Marshall and Fender flavors plus custom stuff.

8. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Mics and their type/placement is a wholly separate consideration. Either an amp sounds good into a cab or it doesn't. It's really that simple. In my case the Soldano SLO100, despite being a guitar amp sounds great on bass through a bass cab.

9. JFlo

JFlo Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Here's a link to the recording I used it on (it's a Misfits cover EP, so explicit content).

torinodeathride likes this.
  10. torinodeathride

torinodeathride

Dec 1, 2020
    I am a novice with recording, glad to work with a good recording engineer. But I've seen how different mics and placement make dramatic differences. My engineer also uses two different mics in different positions. So I rely on him for sure. One thing I hope to never do is claim I know things about recording and the more tech part of things here. There are some really knowledgeable people here, and that's a gift.

11. torinodeathride

torinodeathride

Dec 1, 2020
    Thanks for sharing. I'll listen tonight. My band does Misfits covers for our Halloween shows. We play posthardcore kinda of like Drive Like Jehu, Jawbox, and/or Helms Alee. So it's fun to blast out some power chords, I do them on bass too.

12. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Of course they do, but that wasn’t my point nor is it the point of the thread. I’m not sure what you’re getting at.

13. JFlo

JFlo Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2019
    I love Helms Alee and really dig the new album. I'll be seeing them with the Melvins next month.

14. torinodeathride

torinodeathride

Dec 1, 2020
    No harm, no foul. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am just being clear that I am not knowledgeable about recording and glad people like you are. And that Marshall studio heads are great for recording bass.

15. torinodeathride

torinodeathride

Dec 1, 2020
    Bass sounds good here for sure! It sits really well in the mix. I can see what you mean about the pre-amp. I love the covers, you really do them well. We play "skulls" for Halloween, can't resist.

16. torinodeathride

torinodeathride

Dec 1, 2020
    Lucky you! I'll see if they're coming to DC area. I like they're first 3 albums best. I can respect their new direction. They sound like they're into A Place to Bury Strangers (or the like). Helms Alee have some great bass playing and sound. That could be a thread itself.

17. JFlo

JFlo Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Thank you! We're recording this weekend. I'm not sure if I'm gonna use this rig or an SVT.

18. torinodeathride

torinodeathride

Dec 1, 2020
    Maybe use A/B pedal and record both at the same time? Nice options!

19. JFlo

JFlo Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2019
    I like the way you think...

20. torinodeathride

torinodeathride

Dec 1, 2020
    I hope your recording turned out well!