Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marshall vba 400 too loud?!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ted13, Jul 11, 2005.

1. ted13

ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    ok, i've read all the prior post on this amp alot of people saying it's too loud to turn up because a 100w or 300w or whatever solidstate amp would be loud enough for the venue. ok im my world nothing is ever loud enough, i use a power amp thats puts 600w into 8ohms with a 8ohm eden 410xlt and a compressor taming the peaks quite a bit and i still clip the amp. so if 600w to 8ohm 410xlt is not loud enough for me do you think the VBA 400 will be too loud or probly just fine. I mean i've played a bunch of 300w tube svt's and they are usually running pretty maxed to get the volume i want. any comments?

2. Oh for Pete's sake, don't be a guitar player. It has a volume knob on it. Find it and learn to use it. ;)

3. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    +1.

Or EQ in some more mids. Or add more speakers.

4. ted13

ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    Ok, it seems people aren't getting the jist of my post. i don't have a vba 400 and am thinking of getting one. people complain it's too loud and never turn it up. I play with 2 guitar players playing dimed 50w tube amps and 412's and nothing i have used yet really is loud enough

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    too loud.... turn it down some.

I run a head that has the same number of power tubes and live with the volume set between 3 & 6 most the time. For what it's worth, I replaced an 1100 watt power amp with the tube head... but I never ran that full-on either.

Also the jump from 300 to 400 watts isn't a whole lot louder. Double the watts for a 3dB increase I think it goes...

6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Well, when they say it's "too loud", they probably mean that it doesn't sound all that great at lower volumes. So you have to turn it up pretty loud for decent tone.

Lotsa folks say the same about SVT's.

While you might think that's just what you want, it's gonna suck when you're on a gig and the bar manager tells you the band is too loud, and that you either have to turn it down or pack it up and go. Maybe that doesn't happen at the places you play right now, but I guarantee that someday you're going to have a gig where they will not tolerate more than 100db or so. Frankly, most venues enforce sound level limits.

7. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    +1

Unfortunately it seems like there's more and more SPL meters showing up in club owners' hands. Our drummer plays behind a plastic shield and we didn't turn his mikes on in this one club and the manager still said the drums were too loud! :rollno:

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'd say get the VBA400, and for the smaller gigs, look for an old used Marshall Superbass, or just a regular Marshall Plexi.

9. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH

Good call, Mr. Rockefeller! ;)

10. YogaBear

YogaBear

Jul 27, 2009
    Haha, That's My idea!
    A good 100w is a Jcm800 MK2 superbass(1992)
    Get it all with 2 4x12 cabs, Jcm800 maybe, just change the speakers and you will have heaven!

11. More speakers will probably help more.

I'm using an SVT-II with a Marshall 810, playing with guitarists armed with two 100 watt JCM900s (tube amps) into 4x12s. I rarely even get half way round the volume dial before I'm drowning out the guitarists.

You're probably reaching the limits of a 4x10 by itself, adding more power isn't going to get much more out of it IMO.

12. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    A 400w tube amplifier should be more then you need short of big outdoor or arena venues.

Add speakers for more air movement; don't worry about the big wattage rating of your amp.

PS: most big tube amps are nearly maxed out volume wise at only about half power. Putting the master level at 7-10 is pretty much only adding unwanted noise. Also, good god you must play loud. What kind of club accepts those volumes?

13. Rob Lewis

Rob Lewis

Feb 23, 2006
    London
    Yet another volume thread...

14. VBA 400 + (2) VBC412..... guitarists beware!!!! LOL

15. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    A VBA400 into *2* 4 ohm 8x10s will be ungodly loud. I can't imaging a situation where that wouldn't be enough.

16. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    An empty one.

Also, add mids, cut treble and bass, less distortion/compression, more speakers, yadda yadda. All the normal "increase perceived volume" tips apply here.

17. Jesus CHRIST! Man, I guess I'm lucky to have the gear to mic/di all of our amps and let the FOH do all the heavy lifting. I hate when our guitar players' 17 and 15 watt (dr z and orange) tube combos are turned up, even past 1 or 2 oclock! Maybe I'm just a big wuss lol... I'd die if I had to play w/ volume like that. I hope you guys use IEMs or at least earplugs. Hey, if you're having fun though, rock on!

18. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    Your band must sound terrible.

19. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    my precision will cut through the guitars in my band even if i'm only using my 30 watt pignose practice amp because of the frequency of the sound, i turn the mids up to 6 and keep the bass and treble at 4, it works the same during my lessons, my teacher plays through my 200 watt marshall with my jazz bass and i play the p through the pignose and we can hear each other fine because the tones we get are vastly different

20. Clearly you're not a fan of doom.

Anyway, at the OP:

Your profile says you're using a 410. Add another one of those. That plus VBA400 should be crushing.