Marshall VBA 400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VtypeV4, May 25, 2004.

1. Anyone got any thoughts, how do these compare to Ampegs, Fender, Trace etc?
  2. Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    Very hard to find!

The US distributor in NY said they are still available, but back ordered. Most Mashall dealers I've talked to have never seen a VBA (focused purely on guitars amps). :rolleyes:

3. Cheers man, I just wondered cuz i hardly ever see any over here in the UK either. I work as a sound engineer and ive only ever seen one band with one. Id like to test one against my Trace Elliot V4 to see how good they are...
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I believe that there was a thread on the VBA 400 not too long ago. Did you do a search?
  5. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    i have owned a vba 400 for 3 years ,its loud and heavy ,however i changed the pre amp valves ecc83's x3 & ecc82x1 so that i could get the tone i was after,the amp is great but the stock valves are a bit lifeless .
  6. Cool man, the VBA 400 is becoming more of a potential replacement as my Trace elliot is having serious reliability issues...
  7. Henko

Oct 15, 2002
    I own one too and like it a lot. Not alot tone options though. No problem since I like the sound and always loose myself in too many tone options.

Hey sub forum! What tubes did you put in instead of the stock ones? What did it do to your sound?

8. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    hi Henko ,
    i changed the ecc83's for jjtesla's and the ecc82 to a philips .
    The new tubes make my amp sound great. The teslas give a great rock tone with very rounded bottom end ,a more defined mid range and biting treble not the glassy treble you expect from a transistor amp.

they were very helpful and all the test results are there to see online . I have no regrets changing the pre amp valves it just makes a good amp into a great amp :cool:
  9. Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    This amp is very hard to find in europe too.
    I have played it one time, and it sounded very medium to me. Big fat tone, a little bit vintage.
    It s a pure rock bass amp.
    Easy to use, warm sound, but the sveltana tubes must be changed. JJtubes are really ok. More gain, more definition.
  10. jfrank

Mar 30, 2007
    I've had mine for about two months, I'm using a Ampeg SVT-610HLF cab with it ( could'nt find a Marshall cab ). This thing is LOUD! I usually run the Gain up to 7 , So I don't set the volume over 2 when we play ( The other two guitarists have TSL 100's too ). We play Classic Rock and it is perfect for that type of music,
    It has a smooth low end distortion that just growls. I have not any reliabilty issues with it yet and i've been moving back and forth twice a week. If you are into Rock and Roll or Metal, This is your amp -
  11. Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    wow, what a bump
  12. I wouldnt mind having a bash at one, would match my VBC810 well :smug:
  13. I just played one.

It is damn loud. This one appeared a bit older. It was played through a Marshall cab too. I wasn't INCREDIBLY impressed, but I didn't play with it a whole lot. And I am also not an amazing bassist.

I just was sort of taken aback at how loud it is. At 2 on volume and 5 on gain it competed with drums and a Line 6 Amp up pretty loud.

Expensive tube replacements though. I did not check what type of tubes were in there.
  14. I used one a while ago- AWESOME amp. Wicked overdrive out of it with my 'RAY!!!!! plugged into the passive input ;-)
  15. YogaBear

Jul 27, 2009
    Who uses the amp in a live session?
    I need samples! xD
  16. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I'm a vintage SVT guy - I tried one once in a store and was very impressed. It would most definitely work for what I do.
  17. pthunder7

Jan 21, 2011
    I recently picked up a refurbished Marshall VBA-400 on ebay at a reasonable number ($850). I suspect that this head did a tour of the US for a Marshall artist and after the tour it was refurbed by Marshall to sell. I really like this amp; powerful and toneful and different than an SVT. I find it to be a bit more articulate than my SVT's; a little tighter, less round, and capable of real articulate and aggressive tones. This Marshall is a nice addition to my "arsenal". While I really like this amp, in my opinion they are a bit over priced (retail was near $4K, with street about $2700.....too much). If I owned no amplifier, I would buy and SVT, but after having an SVT, I would buy one of these for some sonic variety.