1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Marshall VBA Problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by geddyfan, Jun 10, 2012.

1. So I was gigging with may marshall last night and it sounded fine the first set then problems started to set in. I heard a bit of popping the 2nd set wasn't sure it was my amp thought maybe my wireless so I changed back to a regular cord it seemed to get better but the 3rd set it came back and got worse. Amp started popping and cutting out luckily I was running through the house sound and had my orange tt as a back up. Changed amps the 4th set and the problems went away. Any idea's what could cause this before I take it to my tech ? Help

2. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Pre amp tube? Did you try wiggling them all make sure they were seated right?

3. No. I'm gonna drag that beast out today and c what I find. More than likely I'm gonna get it right and flip it. It's a nice amp but it doesn't get as grindy as i would have hoped. Maybe time to try somethin else.

4. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    I'd see if you can replicate the issue and try changing the preamp tubes/phase inverter one by one until you find the troublemaker(s).

5. Sounds like a place to start.

6. Ok , played it for about 30 in this morning sounds fine. I'll wait for it to warm up a bit more and try again. I hate intermittent problems !

7. Still can't replicate the problem. This is annoying !

8. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    What was the power quality at the gig? This can be an issue as often as not.

It blows my mind how many people buy an amp because they want it to distort. There's a zillion pedals that do that in more controllable manner.

9. I was running it through my power conditioner so it should have been good. I'm not looking for any full on distortion just some thing not as clean as my 400+ .

10. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    I considered this as a possibility too but IME I haven't had an amp really cut out until it got as low as ~85-90VAC. Then again, some of the SVT-VR's had that low voltage relay shutting them off so I can see this being a possible cause too.

A 400w valve amp no less! I use 30-100w tube amps if I want overdrive in bands but I'd never even look to drive my Bassman 300 besides the pre. :eek:

11. Like I said before jus lookin for something not as clean as my mesa

12. d-180, but that might not be loud enough for you.

The VBA is known for crappy spade connectors all over the place.

13. That'd prolly be loud enough my band doesn't play that loud. A m2000 might do the trick as well but I'd like something different than mesa. Already have 3 of there amps !

14. PLayed some more today still can't replicate the problem. Is there any chance it was a power issue even running thru my power conditioner.

15. That is a definite yes! "Power conditioners" do nothing to regulate voltage. You need a line voltage regulator for that (expensive and heavy in comparison).

16. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    And so I'll ask again...was the venue or the power suspect? You've got an amp that draws a lot of current...if it was trying to run on sub-par voltage there are a number of ways that could present itself.